Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...my first post ever here, so bear with me. I am on mac 4 and pride myself in being perfectly computer illiterate. My primary use is e-mail along with the usual surfing and writing and online trading. I find today that sympatico, the only online access I have ever used, have decided to dedicate their entire english speaking technical support service, to the wellbing of the economy of India. The three or four folks I spoke to there at sympatico help India, accessed by the irritating electronic monotones of the arrogant Belle of Bell, Emily, were just too tough to try to decipher. Outrageous! No Canadians capable of doing this work? Next up was a long waiting game...a few days of intermittent attempts to get my service attended to. They acknowledge that the problem is their system (after three days) and now I am to wait 93 hours (why 93 who knows) after which time I should "hear" something. The level of service at sympatico has stunk...er sunk to an all time low, and I seek an alternate provider....pronto. I have been a Bell customer for over 35 years, and my company was one of the original Bell Global Solutions custotmers. Nice way to end a devoted client relationship. Like being bitten by the family dog. Any ideas? KOL:clap:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Put me down as another angry Sympatico Customer. My Apartment has been awaiting a new modem for almost two weeks, to replace our four year old modem that doesn't get us on the net anymore.

No offence to anyone from other parts of the world, but if they can't understand english and don't speak it well, they can't help me.

If my modem doesn't arrive tomorrow, I'll be switching to Rogers.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I had a Sympatico problem a few weeks ago, first call spoke to a Canadian in Canada (nothing against people elsewhere, myself), was told it would take a few days to fix, it was escalated and fixed in 15 minutes.

I'm not deluded into thinking Sympatico is all that different from Rogers Internet or any other company of such a size. If it works for you, fine, it not, go elsewhere.

There are lots of opinions here on ehMac as well, many matching the OP.

http://www.ehmac.ca/search.php?searchid=460227

·
Registered
639 Posts
Been using Cogeco here in hamilton, and have had a couple hiccups which I'm certain weren't on Cogeco's end. Reliable, consistent cable 24/7. Sympatico is garbage.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I was a Rogers customer and a Sympatico customer. I got sick of both for different reasons. Rogers had incompetent tech support and slow speeds during the hours that you want to use their "high speed" Internet. Sympatico was jut expensive. I've never had to deal with their "offshore" tech support, but having dealt with other companies "offshore" tech support, it can't be a fun experience in terms of dealing with them.

I'm now with Teksavvy and they have superior support and they're half the price of Sympatico. That makes me happy. Problem solved.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have had Sympatico since '01. Never an issue until about 2 months ago, when the connection simply dies. I ran all the usual steps and determined the problem was on their side. I called and was also given the 90-odd hour tale. I said that such a wait was unacceptable given that i had been a good customer for a long time etc.

Service was restored about 2 hours later.

So, all in all, it could have been a lot worse according to the tales of woe I have read on ehMac over the years - for Bell and Rogers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use rogers, I find the tech support to be very competent, every time I've used them, I wasn't redirect India, Thailand, or some other poor nation in Asian. Cable problems, internet problems, phone line issues, mobile issues (Fido though, but all the same in the end) they have all been dealt with kindly and generally well. I switched to Rogers Home Phone because Bell was really bad with tech support, and billing, and technical issues.

On a side note, Cheap Asian labour is used because it's well cheap, they can of course find people in Canada to do the same job, but it isn't as cheap. I hate the fact that we pay for the service, yet we get poor tech support, because the company is cheap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it all depends where you live. Like a previous poster, I've had Sympatico HS since 2001. I think in that time the mail server has gone down twice. Briefly.

As far as Sympatico being expensive, I'm paying $34.95/month and getting over 5 Mb/s downloads. I was paying $44.95 but asked them if I could supply my own modem. The said that was not allowed but that if I would sign a 12 month contract they would reduce the price to $34.95, presumably saving me the cost of the modem rental. Fine by me.

DSL is a technology that requires a relatively clean line from you to the central office. If you're phone line contains any old wiring, load coils, bridge taps, etc. you likely won't have a happy DSL experience. Add distance to the equation and things get even worse. You may still get connectivity but at a reduced speed.

Now ask me what my experience with Rogers Internet service was like previously. Downright grim...

Jerry

·
Registered
274 Posts
I totally agree. I was a Bell customer for over ten years and just recently switched to Rogers for basically everything and my service has been great.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The only issue that I have had with Bell Sympatico high speed was the all in one modem/router unit. I have found since installing the new Airport Extreme and using the Speedstream 6520 as strictly a modem my internet speeds have gone WAYYYY up. The internet flows smooth like milk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts