Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooh la la.

I noticed that Sympatico upgraded my HSE speed today. When I run a speed test here these are my results:

2004-02-18 20:40:13 EST: 2529 / 681
Your download speed : 2529976 bps, or 2529 kbps.
A 308.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 681198 bps, or 681 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Any of you other Sympatico HSE & Ultra subscribers in Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto areas been upgraded yet?

I downloaded the UT2004 demo... in less than 10 minutes. Heh heh.

:D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
If by faster you mean...
It's running like it should be at 180k/sec on average,
Then yes, But I'd have to check the speed at the 5:30 p.m. EST
Internet rush hour.
Then I can guage if it's really any better than the 15k/sec -
30k/sec that I've been getting at that time of day.

Lately I've been doing all my big downloads after Midnight EST.
(I always get a 180k/sec download speed at that time.)

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Wow, I thought mine was faster. I hadn't given it much thought as I live in a more peripheral area of the GTA. Would have thought we would be the last to uprade, but ran the test and got similar results to yours. My previous average was about 1450 and 162. Now averaging 2502 and 302.
This is Great!

·
Registered
137 Posts
"I got nuthin' Jerry!"

861/110 down/up :(

midtown Toronto, just N. of Eglinton West, near Allen Expressway

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Bjornbro, what service do you subscribe to. Obviously not basic, but are you on the high end service?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Petie:

Here is a link to the service I subscribe to. Looks like they're delivering what they are supposed to.

I chose this service because I need the upload speed. Every business day I upload information to my host's server as opposed to backing up information to another hard drive.

I share my internet service via an Asanté router between my business (street level) and my apartment (upper), so on the personal side I enjoy quick downloads as a side benefit. :D

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I'm using Cogeco High Speed and I just tested at 4488kps download and 613kps upload.

I am so glad I didn't go with DSL.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ask Bell for the upgrade!

Thanks to "adagio" for sending me a note about bugging Bell!

Sure enough the old Nortel modem that I have can't handle the higher speed. (It dates from November of 1998 - how many times have I bought this thing with my mandatory $10/month "rental" fee.
I called tech. support, they put me through to the business office which put in a request to send me a new Speedstream modem and install the Dslam in my line. Even told me that my sync rate is 4 out of 6, putting the Bell end of my POTS at less than a kilometer from my house. (It is, I came across the building one day.)

So you can wait for Bell to upgrade you eventually, or you can jump to the front of the queue!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Yay!!

I had a feeling something was wrong when you posted your speeds.
This whole thing has me furious. When I discovered that my old modem wasn't up to snuff I in turn told several folks I know.

If Bell wants to charge $10 a month then the onus should be on them to make sure a proper modem is supplied. I wonder how many others who don't know the difference are just getting by with antique equipment? :mad:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Just noticed a speed change to 250k per sec download today,
That's up from the usual 170k average that I normally get.

Wow...
I'm not sure what Bell Sympatico is doing...But I hope they keep it up!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I wonder how many others who don't know the difference are just getting by with antique equipment?
Which modems are they?
I've had mine for a few years now,
Who knows...Maybe I can get an even faster connection.

·
Registered
136 Posts
just checked it out - sympatico regular DSL highspeed (not ultra) doing about 300K - about twice as fast as before - good news

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
That's good, I just peaked at 290 kbps on my last
download of a 20 mb download with my wireless card on
my laptop...Wow...That was quick.

your
download

«2901 kbps

your
upload

«678 kbps

Thanks for the info...I guess this is as good as it'll get.

[ February 23, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Yay!! I finally got my speedbump.

I swear ISP's must hire morons. Last evening I was experiencing several connection drop-outs and when I checked my download speed I noticed that I had dropped down to 1100 Kbps. I got on the phone to tech support and they had me doing the usual checks. They even went so far as to have me open system prefs and set up a different location. It's always a joy dealing with folks who are clueless about macs and I ended up telling them what I was doing to fix the problem.

I asked when I was going to get my speed increase and was told I wasn't. I asked why. Would you believe this guy had no clue that everyone was getting bumped up? I was told the only folks who get the 3 Gbps were those that subscribed to the Ultra service for $69.95 per month. I was all set to call the office today and ask what's up.

I woke up to very speedy page loading and tested. Sure enough, I've been bumped and am getting in the 2400 kbps range. This is not bad considering that I'm located near the fringe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts