Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that since the beginning of July, Sympatico's Optimax has been available in the Montreal area. Has anyone gotten it yet? I am thinking of getting it but would not mind getting some feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I think this is also available in Toronto -- and I would also like to know if anyone has gotten it, and how they like it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, it's funny this thread should come up, as the Bell tech has just finished "adjusting" my service :(

Back on May 1st, I got my OptiMax 16 hooked up in Toronto, and up until last week, it was working great, with no dropouts or sync problems. My actual best throughput was around 12mbps, but still far better than I was getting on Rogers, particularly with their stupid bandwidth shaping.

Unfortunately, as of early last week, my connection started intermittently dropping out quite regularly. The problem seemed to only be confined to certain days (ie, some days it ran fine all day, others it dropped out every 15 minutes or so throughout the entire day). So I finally logged a service call with Bell.... The result, it turns out, is that the lines in my neighbourhood (Yonge & York Mills area), can't actually handle the 16mbps service at this point. He's dropped me back down to the 7mbps, which seems to be the maximum that it will handle, and told me to call the business office and get my billing adjusted appropriately.

So as of now, I'm down on the OptiMax 7mbps service instead of the 16mbps, but I seem to have a much more reliable connection than I did an hour ago :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts