Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
$70?? whoa...That's over $80 with tax... I would have to split that fer shure with roomies. Arghhh.. more money in Bell's hands. Would have to try it out.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Scharman:
And for that, you get to a website one second faster, only to find out that the download speed is 40kbs
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true, so true... unless the servers you're downloading from also run at 3Mbps, it's almost a waste of money. I find most servers I access run at 40-50KBps and then I get those days that I'm down to 20KBps. Every so often, though you find that one golden server going at 80-150KBps and it's excellent... zoom zoom.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kosh wrote:
"So true, so true... unless the servers you're downloading from also run at 3Mbps, it's almost a waste of money."

We've got a 3Mbps link here at work, and for some sites I'm able to saturate the link (i.e., 300K/sec transfer rates). Plus, even if the remote site has a slower link, if you're downloading from more than one site at once you'll reap the benefits of a faster link.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For web browsing, our 4Mbps link at work is a little zippier than my home 1.5Mbps link, but for downloading files, especially from FTP sites and such, MUCH faster. And it stays fast when you start multiple downloads, which is very nice.

All depends on what you are doing. Too bad only 640Kbps up though.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I was wondering if any ehMacians located in southern Ontario might offer some suggestions for an ISP. I'll be moving to the Kingston area in the new year, and my current ISP doesn't exist in the south.

At this point, I'm probably looking at dial-up service. Is there one provider which tends to be more Mac-friendly than the others?

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
I was wondering if any ehMacians located in southern Ontario might offer some suggestions for an ISP.

TIA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been using Rogers with a Linksys router, networking my OS X tower with some PCs since the spring. Very reliable & fast.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
When I first got Rogers years and years ago it was 500k up and 500k down. It was like that for a couple years. Then they started to slow things down. It was very nice for hosting FTP's for MP3's in those days or hosting Multiplayer games. $70 is a bit much unless your going to host games or download large files. Rogers at one time was very good in my area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts