Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Well after having thought about it a long while and doing a bit of research I've decided to dump the windows box and get a mac. I'm not sure what mac would be best for me though so i was looking for some advice from the people who'd know something about a mac firsthand. My computer use mainly consists of browsing and chatting...downloading A LOT. Also some minor photo editing and occasionally some music editing. Nothing major though. I game a little bit but not all hardcore seriously and my current card (an ATI rage with 16MB of memory) almost meets my expections ...so I'm not overly demanding in that sense. Anyway I was looking at an iMac 14 inch @ 1Ghz (the new G4s :D ) ...or a PowerBook G4 @ 1Ghz....the 12 inch model. Could anyone tell me what the differences are between these? Both seem to be an awesome system....I'm just not sure which to choose! Thanx!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey,

I'm in the same boat as you. Planning to switch from Windows to Mac.

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but I was wondering if you had come across any resources/sites/books that helped you answer your questions about switching?

-sb

·
Registered
247 Posts
the 14" iBook only gives you the advantage of seeing things bigger. but the screen real estate itself stays the same as on the 12". and the 12" gives more portability, since it's smaller and lighter. but it's slower than the 14". if you want the 1GHz with the portability, get the 12" PB, which is also even noticably smaller than the 12" iBook.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The most helpful site I've found so far for switching info is www.pctomac.com ...they recommend some books there as well i think. I bought an issue here and there of macworld and macaddict depending on what was in it...they can be helpful too.
Portability isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I think either the iBook or Powerbook would be good enough for portability for me....I lug around text books that I'm SURE are heavier than either of those laptops ..daily..so it's not a big deal
...I do like having the extra viewability though. I've heard things about the iBook like it's vastly inferior to the powerbook or something. I just want to make sure the laptop I get meets my needs and will continue to do so for a few years (with ram upgrades and all that). It says the cache in the iBook is 256k @ 1Ghz while the cache in the PB is 512k. What kind of difference does this make?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Tough call. If you don't need all the bells and whistles the iBook is a fantastic value.

My only beef with Apple is the consistent low resolutions they offer in their LCDs Have any of you seen UGXA displays on some PC laptops? Man some of those are NICE.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
frompc2mac, I assume you meant to type 14-inch iBook, instead of iMac (as the iMacs are 15" screens). :D

I too was considering a portable...and leaning towards a 12" PowerBook, but now the G4 iBooks have complicated things.

Given that you say you are not going to be a high-end user (video and music editing out the ying-yang), I would suggest you consider the new iBook. They are cheaper (if that is a concern) and they look like a rock-solid portable.

As for gaming, and knowing you are not a huge gamer, you may wish to take a look at the system requirements of some of your favourite games on the Mac and then compare them to the stats of the portables you are considering...to see if they cut the mustard. Also bear in mind that gaming requirements are on the rise.

All this to say...both are wonderful computers. Just do a bit more research and figure out which one best suits your needs. Based on your initial comments...it seems the new iBooks may be what you're leaning towards.

Good luck...and let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
the 14" iBook only gives you the advantage of seeing things bigger. but the screen real estate itself stays the same as on the 12"
This is not true - just because the 14.1" and 12.1" screens have the same resolution does NOT make the iBooks have the same screen real estate. And the 14.1" screens don't just make things bigger - they allow you to see more at the same time (more applications at the same time all seen at the same time rather than one behind the other on the 12.1" model). Common misconception.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi frompc2mac,

For what your uses are you want to go with a 14.1" G4 1Ghz iBook. You don't need all the bells and whistles that the 12" Powerbook has. Plus the software you will get EXTRA with the iBook is awesome!! You will only get the bare bone basics for software on the Powerbook. You want games? You will get Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising (very addictive) that you won't get with the Powerbook.

Unless you want screen real state greater than 1024 X 768 then you would want to go with the 12" Powerbook.

I'm in the same situation and I'm not even a switcher :D I'm going with the 14.1" 1Ghz iBook as it goes along with what I need.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
The 14" iBook and 12" iBook offer EXACTLY the same pixel count - 1024x768.
Lars is wrong, Ryan's statement is accurate.
The 12" has a high dpi and very crisp screen but some find the text a bit small. Since LCDs do not multisync well you must stick with native resolution both of which are 1024x768.

The 12" IS more compact - a personal computer - subnotebook.
The 14" can do presentations in a pinch as the 14" screens larger image can be viewed from a greater distance without losing detail.
If your eyesight is normal you will have no problem with the 12" as the screeen is very crisp and bright altho they do fade down a bit over time.
If you need the occasional presentation or have vision issues seeing smaller text, the 14" would be ideal. Pricing difference is marginal these days.
14" MAY keep their value a bit longer.
:cool:

You can see the identical content on this image - the dock detail is abit clearer on the 14" as would be expected when the picture is taken from a distance.
That's the difference - larger - not more more information.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I think that as a newcomer, the G4 iBook has made things hella easy (and much harder for more seasoned users :rolleyes: ). I mean, you are getting a unit/chip that has been highly regarded. The 12" form factor is pretty solid and Apple seems to have nailed the design. Add a G4 chip, a slot loading optical, USB 2 and the extremely affordable price to boot? it's a wrap! Unless you need Bluetooth (which can be had with an adapter) and some of the other additional feat that you will get with the 12" PB (like a superdrive) and a slightly faster chip (800Mhz vs 1Ghz - negligeable if you ask me). But if you think they're worth the extra $700, do it up. If not, the new iBook is ¡La Bomba!

This is not true - just because the 14.1" and 12.1" screens have the same resolution does NOT make the iBooks have the same screen real estate. And the 14.1" screens don't just make things bigger - they allow you to see more at the same time (more applications at the same time all seen at the same time rather than one behind the other on the 12.1" model). Common misconception.
Lars, you lost me here dude... Not sure how 1024x768 can look different on the different screens. Pls expound.

H!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Yeah LARS, I have to agree with MacDoc.

1024x768 on a 14" screen is the same "screen real estate" as 1024x768 on a 12" screen. There is NO difference except for the size of the pixel (the 14" screen pixels would be larger).

Now to the original question... if you don't need the Superdrive then you go with the 12" iBook G4. Seriously these machines are so close in specifications that your biggest bang for the buck is the 12" iBook G4. You take the difference ($800 cdn) and you spend that on a great case, airport card and base, more memory, etc...

I won't go into it here (my views on the subject are well known)... But there are NO reasons (other than superdrive) to purchase a 12" PB G4 over the 12" iBook G4.

The 12" PB G4 Combo is a dead product.

Disclaimer: I own a Rev A. 12" PB G4 (w.Superdrive) that I purchased in late August. $800 off the base price is a big difference and I most likely would have made a different purchase had the new iBooks been available in August (and yes I am bitter with Apple over this). That being said... I love the 12" PB G4... performance, industrial design, portability, compatibility... it truley is an awesome package.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Now to the original question... if you don't need the Superdrive then you go with the 12" iBook G4. Seriously these machines are so close in specifications that your biggest bang for the buck is the 12" iBook G4. You take the difference ($800 cdn) and you spend that on a great case, airport card and base, more memory, etc...

The 12" PB G4 Combo is a dead product.
I agree with Da_Jonesy on this one, unless you absolutely need the extra speed that the 12" PB provides, as well as a Superdrive, then go for the iBook G4. As for me, portability is the main requirement, and I get that with either the PB G4 12" or the iBook G4, so the real question comes down to the difference in speed.. If you rely on this machine for your livelihood, and use processor intensive apps like photoshop, then of course you'd want to get the fastest machine you can afford.. But otherwise, save the $920 [($2299 * 1.15) - ($1499 * 1.15) = $2643.85 - $1723.85 = $920] and put it towards more RAM, an airport card, a nice case, a scanner, a digital camera, etc..

Now, I just wonder what's going to happen to the PB 12", as it's a great little machine, but needs more to differentiate itself from the 12" iBook (in my opinion).. I would loved to have kept the 12" PB, but I just couldn't justify the extra money.. But as soon as Apple puts a G5 in there, I'll be the first to buy.

Adam

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
So a 17" and 23" (CRT) monitors offer the exact screen real estate if both set to 1024x768 resolution? :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! You guys are very helpful! I'm glad i signed up here
With all this advice considered I think I'm going to go with the iBook. If it'd meet my needs then I'm happy to save the extra cash for some of the things suggested...a case..scanner ..etc. Especially since I know at lest two things I use with my PC are not Mac compatible - web camera and scanner.I also feel better knowing that if a year or two later I feel like selling it and upgrading it'll still be worth something......unlike a PC.....where you walk out the door with it and it's now worth 1/4 of the sale price

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I'm late joining this discussion, but let me add my voice to those who would recommend the iBook G4 over the PB. It all comes down to how you use your computer. If it's just email, internet, iPhoto and word-processing, then the G4 will suit you fine (just make sure you boost the memory to 512 megs). I still use a 12-inch iBook G3 as my portable, and I have no complaints.

Sure, the PB is great, but there's a significant difference ($800) in price and you'd be paying more for a nicer case/keyboard, a bit more power, and a SuperDrive. Also, keep in mind that when Apple find a way to house a cool the G5 in the laptop form (could take a few years), all of these machines are going to be seriously outgunned, so save a little now and you'll be in fine shape when it's time to buy Mac #2 (and trust me on this, Mac buying is very habit-forming!)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an iPod already :D I love that thing. It's 2nd generation and Im interested in buying a 3rd gen .....but that's 2nd priority to the new computer. And actually I think I kind of like the iBook case better
Except on the powerbook it sort of looks like the apple is glowing in pictures...(i've never seen one in person...same with the white iBooks)...I kind of like the glowy apple effect but I think both laptops are nice. Which is another advantage to mac products....I find them so nice....it's as if they actually put effort and quality into ALL the computer's components ...*gasp* *stares at my ugly beige PC* ...lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts