Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was directed to this messageboard. I'm in the process of switching from PC to Mac. I'm looking at either the 800mhz 12.1 Ibook (640mb Ram and Airport Card) or go all out with the Powerbook G4 1Ghz. I take lots of digital pictures and like lugging around my computer to do things. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have the 800 Mhz G4 Powerbook and I have never been happier with it. The screen resolution is awesome, the speed in phenominal as it is the G4 Processor as opposed to a G3 on the iBook and the hard drive space is more than enough for me.

If you are going to be using this as your main computer, I would suggest spending the extra money to get the G4 Powerbook as opposed to the iBook. I would however like to point out that sicne this is Apple's first go at the slot-loading DVD-R drives, you may want to hold off on it until it makes the second revision.

I have the first generation TIBook and it gave me some hassles with the optical mechanism not always showing up the drive on my computer and with too much pressure on it from the top would eject a disk.

Apple however was very good at swapping it with a new drive for me, so if a week without computer doesn't bother you in case it goes belly up to get your drive replaced, then I say get the powerbook.
The iBook is nice, but for me its the powerbook or nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Well.. not sure what to say. If $$ is no object than go Ti. I mean, you're trying to compare a 12" iBook to a top of the line Ti. There must be a $3K difference - at least! But if you're only going to handle lots of digi pix, all you need is a nice HD and call it a day. Have a custom HD installed (like a 40G+) and move on. Buy a DV camera with the $$ you saved! I love the sturdier casing of the iBook, and it fits almost anywhere too...

·
Registered
154 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Well.. not sure what to say. If $$ is no object than go Ti. I mean, you're trying to compare a 12" iBook to a top of the line Ti. There must be a $3K difference - at least! But if you're only going to handle lots of digi pix, all you need is a nice HD and call it a day. Have a custom HD installed (like a 40G+) and move on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So True!, if $$ is not object, i stronlgy recommend a TiBook, again, my teacher has one, a 667 G4 and a 30GB Hard Drive. But if your dealing with Digital Photo's more than Digital Video, the iBook is the way to go, but if you will go into bigger and better things.

Hope that Helps

Eric Condon

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I use a Canon Power Shot Pro 90 IS digital camera and carry my iBook with me everywhere I go. The iBook is a G3 500Mz with a 10G drive running both system 10 and 9.2.

I have not had one minutes problem with the combination and the iBook holds a ton of pictures which I later transfer to my eMac. Last summer I took an extended trip in my motor home for 6 weeks and never ran out of space to hold all the photos I took.

I still have my bronze G3 Powerbook, but found it much to heavy to cart around with the camera. If it was me, I'd buy the iBook and spend the extra dollars you save on the Poewrbook on a really good digital camera.

Been there, done that.

Oh yeah, I am also a part time newspaper photographer and the download speed of the iBook has never cost me a deadline.

Cheers,

Sinc

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are you going to be using Photoshop a lot? If so, and this is for a business, get the TiPowerbook. Especially if you can write off the lease payments against income for tax purposes.

If you don't do a lot of image manipulation, and you are on the road a lot, get the 12" iBook with the combo drive.

I have the iBook and am very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
Well.. not sure what to say. If $$ is no object than go Ti. I mean, you're trying to compare a 12" iBook to a top of the line Ti. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it's a tossup between power and portability. The iBook definitely wins with the latter. If he'll be editing photos on the road, I suggest the TiBook. Otherwise, the iBook will be fine.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
hayesk wrote:
"I guess it's a tossup between power and portability. The iBook definitely wins with the latter. If he'll be editing photos on the road, I suggest the TiBook. Otherwise, the iBook will be fine."

I've not really handled an iBook for an extended period of time, but how does it compare to the TiBook in terms of durability? The TiBook is an absolutely lovely and wonderful machine, but there are times when I think if I look at it funny (much less handle it) that it's going to explode :p Do the iBooks feel more durable than the TiBooks?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
If you know how to take a digital picture then you will not have to manipulate it much and the iBook is just fine.

If you don't know how to take a picture and need to touch it up alot via photoshop etc. or you fancy yourself a graphic designer / artist / visual interpreter then you better get the power. Go Ti !

I also ask the question to people often:
Will you be using the computer to make money?
Then the Ti will make you more, and will pay for itself.

iBook has been configured for : Students, Teachers, Small Business

Powerbook has been configured for : Pro User, Digital Pictures, Digital Video

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
"Any particular reason to go with the top end TiBook instead of the 867? makes a nice in between (at 3700$) in this case."

You can't get a SuperDrive in the 867MHz TiBook. That, and the 1GHz TiBook is 133MHz faster :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, and a 64MB video card instead of a 32MB video card, and Airport included!

Personally, I would buy the PowerBook 1GHz if I could afford it, just to be clear.

--PB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone with all the input and suggestions. I've decided to go with the 12 Inch IBook with extra memory (40GB and 640MB Ram). I'm excited to see what I can do with it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Re: durability of the iBook vs the TiBook.

When closed, the iBook feels more solid, IMO. Although SpanishJoe once recounted a talke of horror in which his TiBook fell four feet from a bathroom counter to a concrete floor and lived after a minor operation.

Either way, I wouldn't want to drop either of them.

From what I read and see, the TiBook goes well in a briefcase with papers and suck, the iBook goes well in a backpack/rucksack/carry-all type bag with all manner of stuff that might bash the crap out of it.

But again, that is just my opinion.

Plus the TiBook 1Ghz weighs in at just about 5000$ while the 12" iBook weighs in a just over 2000$, so the money issue is big to say the least.

Any particular reason to go with the top end TiBook instead of the 867? makes a nice in between (at 3700$) in this case.

--PB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts