Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a post on Macminute.com that says Apple has (finally) pulled the Switch commercials from its web site and hinted that the move was linked to disappointment with the campaign. While I might be a little biased about this ;) , I think this supposed backlash against the campaign is rather puzzling. As evidence, Macminute offered one article from a Silicon Valley newspaper (?)

From everything I have seen and read, the campaign was pretty successful. Despite the fact that the US economy is in poor shape, Apple managed to get a lot of people sit up and take notice of this funny company that sells funky products. Here's another encouraging sign: Apple Stores have reported that roughly half of all of their sales are to new Mac users.

Like I said, I'm kinda biased, but I think the critics are wrong.

[ July 25, 2003, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: PGant ]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the Switch Campaign was very successful. No scientific data of course but advertising is one of those things where you can't really gauge the benefit/effect. Sort of like the GST. (So, did it turn out that GST was a good thing for Canada? Was Progressive Conservative really progressive? Anyway, back to the topic. Next paragraph.

I go by the fact that when the Switch Campaign was on, a lot of my friends were talking about it. Some even sent me Switch spoof ads (imitation = highest form of flattery) trying to tease me. Ultimately we all had a great time. And I know at least a couple of my friends will be "switching" when they have to buy a new computer. I think people just don't have as much money because it's all tied up in sinking stocks.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I got rather well acquainted with one of the spoofs, having been sent a copy by about a dozen friends. I must hand it Apple, they showed intelligent restraint when dealing with most of the send-ups on their campaign, saving their legal wrath for a select few.

For those who know what I'm talking about, for the record, I never worked at TGI Fridays (LOL)...

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
You can take a poll and see what others feel.

Effective or Not?

I say yes definately they were effective.

MacPolls.com

---
" Blue screen of death......it's blue "
Still makes me lauph!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
So, since when did Apple take much notice of criticism from the peanut gallery?

They're likely just refreshing and refocusing the campaign. I don't think they want to stop encouraging Switchers. Remember, too, that they now have a much more potent argument in favour of switching - just two letters - G5.

Also, the campaign has had a few fiascos, like that apparently stoned girl.

Incidentally, the Switch topic hasn't been eliminated - it's just been moved from a big tab to a small menu item on the bar below the tabs.

Don't worry, be happy!

Cheers, Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts