Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I hate to suggest it, perhaps picking up an old Pentium machine would be worthwhile for just that purpose. People darn near give away those old PC's, so for next to nothing he could play chess online. As a bonus, his Mac running OS X, will make Windows look like the clunker it is, further justifying his Mac purchase.

If VPC was guaranteed to work for the online chess purpose that would be the more elegant choice. But a lot more expensive for sure.

-GW

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I "switched" my buddy.. he's picked up his first-ever Mac, a 12" Powerbook. He's very excited and is having a blast exploring his new baby.

But. Discovered today that the one thing he loves to do online - play chess at World Chess Network - he can't do on a Mac, as the downloadable client is Windows 98+ only.

I've pulled a few of the recent Chess programs from versiontracker, but none seem to be able to connect to the WCN server.

Sure, there are other online chess services out there, but he knows the community at WCN, knows how their client works, and has purchased an annual "Gold" membership with the site.

Anyone out there doing WCN on a Mac? (and anticipating one of your suggestions, he's already 'way overbudget and picking up VPC is probably not an option at this point).

TIA,
M

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does OS X support Wine (or Windows on Unix)?

Honestly, I have done little more than touch OS X since it has become available, I'm a bit more oldschool in my Mac knowledge.

However, there is the Wine opensource project (and by extension, WineX) that allows fairly decent emulation of win32 applications. Given OS X's roots and market, one would think that there is a port/patch available.

I just checked with a friend at Transgaming, and he said that a fellow by the name of Pierre d'Herbemont had released a patch to a cvs version of Wine that allowed for compilation on OS X. With a bit of Googling and some adventures into glibc, I'm sure you can get a working copy of Wine that will be able to run that Chess client.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll soon have an X-capable machine, courtesy of Neema, and I'm interested in trying this out.

I've used Wine rather extensively on FreeBSD in the past and should be able to document my efforts enough for others here to follow, if they wish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been doing some more research on this, since it's something that really interests me.

Apparently Pierre has only been able to get winelib going, with WineSweep.

http://kt.zork.net/wine/wn20030718_179.html#2

It didn't cross my mind before, but Wine only emulates the Windows API, not the x86 instruction set. Some vital DLLs have yet to been made to work by Pierre, so I doubt that there is going to be anything useable for the Rest Of Us for a little while longer.

However, I'm going to keep watching this. Having an opensource alternative to Virtual PC would be really a Good Thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts