ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 2.66GHz, using OS X 10.6.8 Have 2.57 GB free. We have been using a WD My Book World Addition II for back up. We had a power outage a few weeks ago, and now there is no back ups being done to the WD. I have tried restarting and re-installing the WD, but nothing happens. Doesn't show up in Time Machine, nor does it ever seem to work correctly after I restart it. The light sequence on the front display of WD does not match anything described in owners manual. I have decided to ditch the WD, and go with a 2TB Time Capsule. We are using an Airport Extreme for Wi-Fi now. Will I just be able to unhook the Airport Extreme and WD, plug in, hook up Time Capsule, and follow the set up procedure? I am not really good with computers, but want Wi-Fi, and automatic backups.

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
It really will be as simple as plugging in the Time Machine and running the setup procedure. You will need to set the Wireless network name / password on all of your connected devices, of course, but that's no biggie.

And don't toss the WD hard drive just yet! At the very least, you may be able to get it up and running again to use as secondary storage.

Have you opened Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities/) with the WD drive plugged in and turned on? If it doesn't see it, then there may be a problem with the WD enclosure. The drive within the WD enclosure may be fine... and a fix would be as simple as swapping the drive out into another case.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried the Disk Utility step. I will give that a try. I think the Time Capsule is the way I want to go anyway. We have 2 iPhone 4S, and a first generation iPad as well. Time Capsule should automatically back those up as well. Thanks for the help. I will try DU now.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WD does not show up in Disk Utilities. I really want to thank you CubaMark for your help. Off to the Apple store.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I haven't tried the Disk Utility step. I will give that a try. I think the Time Capsule is the way I want to go anyway. We have 2 iPhone 4S, and a first generation iPad as well. Time Capsule should automatically back those up as well. Thanks for the help. I will try DU now.
It's not quite as simple as that for the iPhone and iPad backups. They need to be backed up via iTunes and then those local backups are backed up via time machine. You still need to sync/backup the devices manually. This is one of the reasons I prefer iCloud backups for ios, as they will happen automatically without needing any user intervention (typically overnight while the device is charging).

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Considering that you already have the Airport Extreme that's working, why not just get a new external hard dive and plug it into the Airport Extreme??

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean the same type of set-up we are using now? I should have mentioned this is the second external HD that has failed when using as a backup. I had the EHD sitting on top of the Airport Extreme, inside the small cabinet of the computer desk and think that is what has been causing the failures. If I get the Time Capsule, then it is all one unit, and nothing sitting on top or close to another. Cable modem also sits right beside the router. Maybe just too much stuff in a small space.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
I'd sure be concerned about having and providing proper air flow and cooling using that small cabinet.

And I sure wouldn't put anything on top of any Airport Extreme and especially with a Time capsule to block cooling airflow, and that was one of the reasons of Apple's first Airport spaceship design to prevent that from happening.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a Time Capsule, moved some things around in the cabinet. Everything has lots of room, should be no heat problems now. Time Machine is backing up right now, and I am a happy guy. Thanks to everyone for their help and knowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts