Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What game?

Almost everything these days in the game industry is multi-platform (works on both PC's and the three big consoles), you may find it cheaper to invest in a game console.

-sb

·
Registered
691 Posts
You are right.
But I'm a baby. :D

Final Fantasy Online is released at the end of Oct for PC and March 2004 for PS2.I have a PS2 but really don't feel like waiting.

·
Registered
691 Posts
So i'll be getting a pc.....ugh....it's for a damn game....

Anyway,need to pick up a monitor switch box and a USB switch box as I really don't need the added clutter of 2 keyboards and mice on my desk.

Any recomendations?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Does your monitor have a VGA, ADC, or DVI connector? Usually a KVM (I think it's called KVM) switchbox handles both the monitor and keyboard/mouse.

I think VGA/USB switches for 2 or 4 computers are quite plentiful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd wait.

That game bombed in Japan (they love RPG's more than North America!) and graphically its very out-dated.

I have a friend who's a beta-tester and he said the user experience is less than steller compared to previous FF's on the PS2.

The PC specs are very bloated for that game. Something like 2 GB of free hard drive space and I've heard insane pricing fees to play it online.

$5 just to create a character and $20 a month to play online (from what I heard).

·
Registered
454 Posts
How is it coming out first for PC, how does Sony allow that? Aren't they the exclusive system for FF, just like GTA.

(I on the other hand am patiently waiting for Max Payne 2 to be announced for Mac.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max Payne 2 is coming out to the XBOX in November.

I have Max Payne for the PC and the XBOX version was a carbon copy graphically with the extra benefit of 5.1 sound.

-sb

·
Registered
454 Posts
I did play Max Payne on my roommates xbox, and really did not like it as much, the controls were gimicky, but It may be that I don't play much with that controller. I did love halo on it though.

(The other thing Is I am sure the xbox will not be able to keep up with PC/Mac quality graphics this time around since the speed of computers doesn't stand still like it does with xbox.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I did play Max Payne on my roommates xbox, and really did not like it as much, the controls were gimicky, but It may be that I don't play much games, and when I do always on my Macs."

There's definately a learning curve when going from PC/Mac to a console when playing a FPS.

The only difference is accuracy, it's a little harder to target enemies with a controller but it's not to the point of being annoying.

In addition, most game developers now enabled a feature called "auto aim" in single play. If you're able to line up the enemy where your aim is maybe a pixel or two off the enemy's head, the game will auto line it up for you.

The premise is, if you're good enough to get within a pixel of the enemy's head, you deserve the headshot.

"(The other thing Is I am sure the xbox will not be able to keep up with PC/Mac quality graphics this time around since the speed of computers doesn't stand still like it does with xbox.)"

Ahh, with games, CPU speed is not the major factor.

It's the video card and the XBOX has a fairly decent one. It's not bleeding edge like the Radeon 9800 but it's not the card that counts, it's what the developers do with that hardware.

John Carmack (developer of Doom/Quake) has said on the record that the xbox version of Doom 3 will be as good as the PC version.

-sb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"How is it coming out first for PC, how does Sony allow that? Aren't they the exclusive system for FF, just like GTA."

FFO was released in Japan about a year ago on the PS2 and it bombed.

The PC market really isn't considered a compititor to the console players.

I think Sony is just trying to make a quick buck by porting it to the PC.

Oh and GTA (with the exception of GTA4, it wont even be on PC's.)isn't exclusive anymore. It's coming out for xbox, this november.

-sb

·
Registered
454 Posts
"Ahh, with games, CPU speed is not the major factor.

It's the video card and the XBOX has a fairly decent one. It's not bleeding edge like the Radeon 9800 but it's not the card that counts, it's what the developers do with that hardware.

John Carmack (developer of Doom/Quake) has said on the record that the xbox version of Doom 3 will be as good as the PC version."

I find that hard to believe since the xbox runs Unreal Championship a lot worse than both my dual 867 Powermac and roommates 1.?? Pentium 3 PC run UT 2003.
(My mac has a radeon 9000, he has a Nvidia 3 Ti.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Asherons Call 1....ugh the horror of graphical crap!"

Never played it. I heard the whole weekly episode thing it had going for it was very cool tho.

"I suppose in terms of a console,you are right.The graphics on FF10 were amazing."

More artistic then great graphics, imo.

"Online,we just can't do that yet I suppose.The load time now is around 10 mins.Imagine if the graphics were par with today."

We can. I'm a big console player and I haven't noticed any loss of graphics in most games on XBL (Unreal seems to be a rare case).

IMO, the problem is the connection. Not enough broadband to go around (so it's still a luxury not a commodity) and most providers give you such a small pipe that it chokes on any intensive online app.

-sb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, one last thing.

If you're a big fan of RPG's in general and not just FF.

I highly recommend you look into Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Bioware made this game -- they also made the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights.

It comes out for the PC in November and it is bloody amazing (the xbox version came out in Aug).

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_sw_knightsrepublic_1.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_sw_knightsrepublic_2.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_sw_knightsrepublic_3.html
http://www.avault.com/consoles/reviews/xbox/review_temp.asp?game=kotor

-sb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I find that hard to believe since the xbox runs Unreal Championship a lot worse than both my dual 867 Powermac and roommates 1.?? Pentium 3 PC run UT 2003.
(My mac has a radeon 9000, he has a Nvidia 3 Ti.)"

Does it play poorly during offline or online play?

The xbox version of Unreal is notorious for lagging, frame-rate drops, etc while played online. Something to do with the graphic API and Xbox Live.

I have Unreal 2k3 for my PC and I've played it for xbox. I don't remember any graphical difference in single player. I have my xbox hooked up to a flat screen hdtv with component video monster cables.

If you want to compare games from PC and Xbox, I could refer you to Splinter Cell (which came out for xbox first). The PC with high end hardware results in the same graphics as the xbox version.

-sb

·
Registered
691 Posts
From what I've seen (screens,movies,and registered players) it doesn't seem too me that it will flop.I hope.

This is "Graphicly out dated"

Shots

For a MMORPG I don't think it is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"For a MMORPG I don't think it is."

I'm not that familar with MMORPGS, so I can't say if those graphics are on par with EverQuest or Star Wars Galaxies.

What I can say is those graphics are not impressive compared to other RPGs out on the market not to mention most games period.

Again, my original intent was to suggest to stick with your console opposed to buying a PC for a game that has received lukewarm reviews at best.

[ October 16, 2003, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: sansabelt ]

·
Registered
691 Posts
Asherons Call 1....ugh the horror of graphical crap!

I suppose in terms of a console,you are right.The graphics on FF10 were amazing.Online,we just can't do that yet I suppose.The load time now is around 10 mins.Imagine if the graphics were par with today.

I'll buy it and run my first month then go from there.Gotta love that free 30 days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts