Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my co-workers and I have had this ongoing Mac vs. PC debate for almost two years. We take every opportunity we get to trade barbs over why Macs or PCs are better.

He reveled in Panther's FireWire data-loss debacle and I jeered every Windows worm and security breach. If something went wrong with either OS...one of us would take a shot across the other's bow.

Recently, my co-worker decided to buy a new PC...I suggested a Mac and he scoffed. Well...he got a Dell and was going to install XP Pro on it. I scoffed at that.

To make a long story short...he calls me a few minutes ago (9:15pm) to let me know that he has screwed up his computer and wanted to know if I had a suggestion. Needless to say I nailed him good. Turns out that during his XP install it asked him to choose his graphics card and he didn't know which one he had, so he chose one at random and it made his screen die.
He can see stuff until the Windows splash-screen and then it goes black.

So...it's going on 10pm and he is formatting his hard drive and doing a total reinstall of Windows. Yep...that's what I want to be worrying about on a Monday night...a Windoze reinstall after I killed my monitor with the wrong driver.

Thank goodness you and I Think Different! :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Macnutt - you merely need to point to the meadow where those lovely, fluffy. hairballs known as sheep are blissfully pulling up grass. Say nothing...just point. ;)

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I went through this very same sort of back and forth argument with both my best buddy and my Dad when they were about to buy their very first computers last year. I trotted out all of the data and made my pitch for Mac ownership...but I lost the battle. (My Mom has an Apple and several other people in my life are now happy Mac users, though).

My buddies relatively new Dell has been plagued with all sorts of viruses and assorted grief. It now runs very, VERY slooow-w-w. He is not a happy guy, and claims that his next machine will, in fact, be a Mac.

My Dad is on his second Hewlett-Packard in less than a year. He spent major bucks on techie help with his first one, which was a used machine he got from a friend. The new one is so new that it hasn't screwed up too much so far. So far.

And both of them used the following argument when they went with a Windoze Box...."if Macs are so darned good, then WHY do most people buy a PC?"

Apparently, I didn't have a satisfactory counter-argument for this at the time. :rolleyes:

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Same argument I hear all the time...

I don't evangelize, I don't argue...I let them buy PCs and than give them the annoyed "you chose unwisely" look when they complain they can't get their digital camera to work, or can't download the pictures, or they had to reinstall Windaz a bajillion times...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts