Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just had to share this news. My 2011 17-inch MBP has been fully refurbished here in Bangkok for less than $100 labour!

I'm so happy to have my baby back! New battery, 2TB SSD, new keyboard.

This puppy's on its third videocard free from Apple. Hope this one will last.

I do like the real estate but, if there's one feature that's the deal-maker, it's Magsafe with the light. The new MBP/MBA connectors are firmly stuck into their ports & one can't see from a glance whether they're charging. Because the new models are lighter, there's way more chance of crashing it off the desk rather than the breakaway Magsafes.

It's really a pity Apple is on that slippery slop...

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
It's really a pity Apple is on that slippery slop...

+1!!! Stupid decision and move!!!

Apple's attitude and the demise of the breakaway Magsafe connector really seems quite pathetic considering the resources the company had available and the fact that third parties were able to come up with something similar.

Apple's excuses and logic just don't hold water and I don't know who even made the stupid decision to not do better!!!

What Ever Happened to One of the MacBook’s Best Features?
The old connector solved a problem that today’s USB-C connections fail to even address.

And a lot more hits here:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Patrick, can you suggest a third-party 'magsafe' for USB-C???

Sorry no, I'd have to go Googling and to see what's out there and I haven't been keeping in touch.

I am MacBook Pro less since my cousin took over my 2007 15" MBPro that is still working for her when her 2008 White Macbook died.

By the way, here's an article with the opposite view I just came across:
Apple, please don't bring MagSafe back to MacBooks. Here's why it's a terrible idea

I haven't read the article yet.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry no, I'd have to go Googling and to see what's out there and I haven't been keeping in touch.

I am MacBook Pro less since my cousin took over my 2007 15" MBPro that is still working for her when her 2008 White Macbook died.

By the way, here's an article with the opposite view I just came across:
Apple, please don't bring MagSafe back to MacBooks. Here's why it's a terrible idea

I haven't read the article yet.

- Patrick
=======
The other downside of USB-C is that the external plastic part is so long, it would be unGodly easy to snap off the USB-C inside. Bet that kind of repair from Apple ain't cheap! BTW, Googling. Young modernes have forgotten Magsafe. All those magnetc adapters are out of business.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Young modernes have forgotten Magsafe. All those magnetc adapters are out of business.

How about some of these, and no, I did not check to see if they were all still available or not:

Magnetic USB C Adapter 20Pins Type C Connector

And a few more hits here:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
The wanna be magsafe are all problematic and really with the length of the USB-c cable it's a non-issue. Magsafes were really prone to overheat.

The 2014/15 Retina retain the magsafe ( tho we replace lots ) and are certainly better machines than anything Apple has produced between 2016 and 2017.

2018 reliability improved with the 6 and 8 core machines and the weight of the 13" combined with the power for the average user has been delightful IF you opt for the four port units.
My regular work set up with two 4k HDR monitors

and drive speeds are insane.

Yet only 3 lb and fits in my tank bag.

The screens are stunning - 500 nits so able to be useable in daylight. 2018/2019 4 port 13" remain in demand..

Partner is using the M1 air as her needs are less but it too is remarkable ,....no fan, crazy battery life and astonishing power with native Big Sur apps....

All transitions are problematic but Apple has produced remarkable machines.
USB-c was not their idea.....the whole industry moved forward and aside from some early fitment it has been reliable reliable WITH Apple accessories......third party ?? bit of a crap shoot tho OWC mostly has good the quality control down these days.

Even USB-c cables are not straight forward.

The treat tho is USB-c equipped monitors where the single cable carries power and video and charges the laptop.
The monitors are chainable as well as are most Thunderbolt 3 devices.

Monitor plugs into wall...single cable to the lappie...very sweet

Reactions: unblocktheplanet
1 - 8 of 8 Posts