Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the SuperDrive from a mid-2010 20.5" iMac work in an early-2011 13" MacBook Pro?

TIA

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Will the SuperDrive from a mid-2010 20.5" iMac work in an early-2011 13" MacBook Pro?

TIA

I don't know, but if they're the same size as they should. Maybe check it out at the iFixit site.

What's wrong with the SuperDrive in the 2011 MacBook Pro?

Have you tried cleaning, compressed air, etc. etc.???

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SuperDrive on the MacBook Pro is not working. When I insert a disc, it whirls (no clicking) and after 30-40 seconds, it spits the disc out. Inserting the disc is also a bit hard. I have to push it almost all the way in before it "catches". The disc also does not eject out all the way. Tried compress air; no joy.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Tried compress air; no joy.

It might be worth trying again, but after or during using a CD/DVD cleaning disk.

Or consider an external optical USB drive.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try a CD/DVD cleaning disc. If I can find mine. :mad:

I do have an external SuperDrive. It won't work. Apparently, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, "disables" external USB Superdrive when an internal one is present in MacBook Pros. I get an error message when I plug it in. There's some plist voodoo that can get me around this restriction, but I have yet to try it.

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
I've been using my old external superdrive with my 2011 MBP El Capitan. Sometimes reads better than the built in, especially with somewhat damaged DVDs I borrow from the library. Works best with USB when burning. For just reading I use a FW 400/800 cable to connect.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I will try a CD/DVD cleaning disc. If I can find mine. :mad:

I do have an external SuperDrive. It won't work. Apparently, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, "disables" external USB Superdrive when an internal one is present in MacBook Pros. I get an error message when I plug it in. There's some plist voodoo that can get me around this restriction, but I have yet to try it.

If you were going to do the MacSurgery anyway, you could always disconnect the internal drive from the bus, then use the external?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
If you were going to do the MacSurgery anyway, you could always disconnect the internal drive from the bus, then use the external?
Not only disconnect, you can add a second hard drive in its place to increase your storage while you are in there.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
I will try a CD/DVD cleaning disc. If I can find mine.

Check the directions carefully, as some CD/ DVD cleaning discs have specific directions when used with a Mac such as using different tracks for Data and video on a CD or a DVD. Basically, different laser pickup lenses for different disc formats and their position.

Then use the supplied flexible tube that comes with the compressed gas inserted in the slot and give it several good blasts while also moving it around in different directions.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great idea! I already have the external SuperDrive, and doing surgery on any iMac is a pain.

I will also try cleaning the head a few more times, but given the lack of progress after a few attempts, I am not hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Great idea! I already have the external SuperDrive, and doing surgery on any iMac is a pain.

I will also try cleaning the head a few more times, but given the lack of progress after a few attempts, I am not hopeful.

Let us know how it works out!

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts

I find it a bit odd that the Radio/ CD Player we had on our 23' I/O weekend cruiser boat had a built-in adjust feature for if and when the CD would stop working due to supposed vibration on our boat and resulting misalignment. It seems to me that any MacBook would have to withstand way more vibration and bounces yet I have never seen or come across any readjusting type software for their built-in CD optical units or players.

I wonder why…???

Maybe the marine radio/ CD player was just built a heck of a lot better and had built-in fix-it capability. Nice feature.

- Patrick
======

1 - 12 of 12 Posts