Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The specs say 24x read speed. I say BS. I've moved 250mb faster with a 12X cdrom
LOL

DVD-R drives are extremely slow. 24x read, and then even slower CD-R and CD-RW. I would definitely replace the SuperDrive with your LG combo drive, and for burning CDs, you'll really appreicate your LG combo drive. I burned a 700 MB CD in under 60 seconds with your exact same Combo drive. Copying a CD worth of data takes only 2 min or less. And believe me, a 24x CD read speed is not considered fast.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, don't forget that the drive's read speed rating is defined as the top speed on the outside edge of a disc. In reality, a CD-ROM/DVD disc reads from inside out, and inside-spindle edge data may only be read at 12 to 15x at the most. If the CD-ROM that you are copying data from is 250MB in total size, then you're only going to be reading data from it at 12 to 15x, and that's pushing it, since the 2MB buffer of the DVR-A04/104 is designed for small file sizes. If you're copying 10 and 100MB files, then the cache won't be helping out much either. Just my 2-cents.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Of course, if you're burning a CD (or a DVD), or copying data off of a CD, why not just start the burning software or the copy and do something else? We do have a preemptive multitasking operating system here?

I've played Quake while burning DVDs and never made a coaster.

John

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Questions:

Which G4 do you have? Or more specifically how fast is your ATA bus (ATA66, ATA100, etc)?

Is the drive on it's own ATA bus, or is it on the same bus as another drive?

Are you doing anything else at the same time?

--PB

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, you can always extract the DVR-104/A04 and plop it into a PC and firmware flash it. Pioneer's PC firmware updater adds tons of media compatibility updates to the drive, and who knows what else.

Otherwise, try the Superdrive on the Sonnet card and see if performance is increased at all (with a different IDE cable). You may have a bad IDE cable for your internal IDE1 Master.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts