Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there is a superdrive available
for the Pismo.
I am desparate to burn some DVD's in IDVD.
Any chance?
Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
not as far as I know.

Best bet is an external burner.

I bought one from Other World Computing a couple of years ago, it came with a piece of software that fooled iDVD to think it was an internal burner.

Only worked on pre-Jaguar if I remember correctly.

Good luck

·
Registered
762 Posts
Some where, some way there is a way to install a Pioneer drive with the Pismo drive, but I'm having troubles finding it at XLR8yourmac right now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
iDVD won't work with a G3. You will need a G4 upgrade for the Pismo and then buy a new drive. Unfortunately, you would then be getting into the price range of a new 'book.

From the Apple web site:
Requirements for iDVD 3.0.1
iDVD 3.0 required
Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later
Any Macintosh G4 system with a factory-installed SuperDrive
Quicktime 6.3 recommended
256 MB of RAM
2GB of free hard disk space

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Do you need iDVD though? The MCE comes with authoring software. Failing that, Toast 6 now supports authoring.

Like it was stated above, if you have to add a DVD-RW and a G4 processor, you might as well look into a powerbook.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
No doubt this possible! Esp outside of the MCE that is offered (and quite $$ I may add).

been looking @ this for a hot minute... actually, there are a few out there:

You can look @ a few from Matshita (Panasonic - 4 models here ) and also look @ a few from Toshiba (SD-R6012 & SD-R6112). There are a few more that should be fine. I may recall Pioneer having a model avail. But this is possible. May make a Pismo quite the unique unit. The ultimate backup lap. A chip upgrage might be of order though. But that may take the $$ of the overall u/g less attractive.

Be advised that none of the ones here are mod free. You may have to touch up the device plugin files to insure that these will burn...

H!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts