Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious of what other people think of Suitcase for OS X, or those who have another brand of a font management utility.

I've been using Suitcase for the last 4 months (version 10.2). Personally, I wish Adobe ported ATM Deluxe to OS X -- it was snappy and responsive.

Due to the nature of my field of work, I use a fair amount of fonts (somewhere in the hundreds) and I think Suitcase just can't handle the amount I use.

For example, when I boot up it takes a good minute or two for Suitcase to fully load. (I have about 50 standard fonts that I have on the ready that are always "on" in addition to the System fonts). It's pretty difficult to just jump into whatever program I want when Suitcase is crawling at a snail's pace to finishing launching.

I thought that it might be the fact that I have too many fonts running (which shouldn't matter, really. ATM never caused me delays) -- but when I first started with Suitcase, there would be a good 20 second delay from when I would select a font to preview (before I had added the hundreds from my personal collection), or when I would enable that font.

It just makes it way too time consuming to properly manage my fonts.

To make a long story short (too late!
) I'm getting fed up with the lack of performance and am seriously looking into an alternative to Suitcase.

Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you thought of Font Reserve? It's cheaper than Suitcase and it does the same sort of function set. I think suitcase is more or less geared towards higher performance when you run it with their suitcase server program.

I too wish that Adobe would bring over ATM deluxe to Mac OS X to offer users a better choice when it comes to Font Management. Apple themselves have a really good font control panel, but developers need to take advantage of it in their Applications.

my thoughts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree about ATM not being ported. Very annoying! Plus a waste of money.

On the other hand I've not experienced slowness issues with Extensis, and I use roughly the same amount of fonts when booting. It's speedy. I presume you've updated to 10.2.2? Not that I experienced problems under the original version... if you haven't it might help.

Perhaps re-installing? Just a thought. It's a pain to have to set everything up again.

Good luck,

smw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts