Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have about 8TB of hard drive space which can be accessed by ethernet and WIFI by my desktop, laptop, Ipads and tablets. NAS haven't been the answer. Either they have a weird file system or they will not allow access if the user is using a VPN and or a firewall. Don't want/need remote access beyond the boundaries of my property. Prefer a system that is KISS (Keep It Simple cause I'm Stupid).

·
Premium Member
42,594 Posts

·
Used to be Tilt
243 Posts
I am in no way a technical person, but why not buy just about any 8TB drive and just connect it via Ethernet to your Wifi router? That way it is immediately accessible to every device in your network.

I mean, I have a 4TB that I do exactly that with. It is an internal drive that I just plug into a SATA Docking Station (I use this) and it works flawlessly.

External drives with their own case may have other limitations like some firmware or some app without which they will not function properly, or if the app or some component fails you may not find it easy to recover your data etc.) Internal drives like the one I suggested - you could have any filesystem you want, and the only component-fail that would cause any risk to data would be the actual internal drive itself; plus it would be cheaper in the long run to own and operate.

Of course, if I have misunderstood your requirements, I apologise.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Don't want/need remote access beyond the boundaries of my property. Prefer a system that is KISS (Keep It Simple cause I'm Stupid).

Well, that last KISS method restriction is not going to be easy to meet. 😉

A good source of information and the starting place can be found at:

I was going to mention as Tilt did that some Routers can provide a type of NAS storage unit using USB, but a quick check on the Hitrom ethernet/Wi-Fi updated router our Shaw ISP provided us with recently says it may not be quite ideal according to what it says in the manual:
USB
Use this port to plug in USB flash disks for mounting and sharing through the LAN interfaces via the Samba protocol (network neighborhood).
The CODA-4x8x supports the following Windows file systems:
FAT16 FAT32
USB devices must not drain more than 500mA from the USB port. USB devices requiring more than 500mA should be provided with their own power source(s).
Maybe different brands and different models have better compatibility, especially with Macs, and a bunch of Googling will probably be required to discover such units.

I am wondering also if you might have an older spare Mac available that you could set up as a LAN server??? Or maybe just as a file-sharing computer???

I am sure some local networking Guru would have some answers for you if you have one available anywhere nearby, but I'm sorry I am not a networking Guru.

I agree with you that a KISS system would be desirable. 😉

EDIT: What about...???
Use file sharing

- Patrick
=======

·
Used to be Tilt
243 Posts
SNIP
I was going to mention as Tilt did that some Routers can provide a type of NAS storage unit using USB, but a quick check on the Hitrom ethernet/Wi-Fi updated router our Shaw ISP provided us with recently says it may not be quite ideal according to what it says in the manual:

Maybe different brands and different models have better compatibility, especially with Macs, and a bunch of Googling will probably be required to discover such units.

SNIP
Well, My router is the Airport Extreme, so it is very seamless and requires no expertise other than pushing and pulling things in and out of a hole. ;) ;)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Well, My router is the Airport Extreme, so it is very seamless and requires no expertise other than pushing and pulling things in and out of a hole. ;) ;)

Unfortunately, Apple stopped producing their Airport Extreme in 2018 and there are many reports of many of them failing lately but it seems that the Eero Pro is a recommended replacement:

But I have no idea as to how well they work. Google would be your friend here to do some checking...

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Every network attached storage device will have a file system of some kind, and unless you are using a Mac Mini as a fileserver, that file system will be "not-Apple" (which is how I read "weird")

The WD MyBook Live and MyCloud networked hard drives BTW have had fatal vulnerabilities exposed which WD is not fixing, and the recommendation is to turn them off and bury them in the back garden.

just about any 8TB drive and just connect it via Ethernet to your Wifi router
Pretty sure you meant USB not Ethernet. Check if your router has a USB connection that is enabled for mass storage. Note however you will still have to deal with "weird" file systems.

iPads and unspecified tablets don't have traditional file-based operating systems, so they will need some kind of setup with software or apps to store data. Only apps that support file sharing will work.

Which is down to the final option: Get a used Mac Mini, attach a large-ish USB hard drive and set it up as a file server with OSX File Sharing and AirDrop. This keeps you within Apple protocols at least.

·
Used to be Tilt
243 Posts
SNIP
The WD MyBook Live and MyCloud networked hard drives BTW have had fatal vulnerabilities exposed which WD is not fixing, and the recommendation is to turn them off and bury them in the back garden.
SNIP
Happened to me too with the MyBooks, hence my recommendation for a dock and an internal drive.

Pretty sure you meant USB not Ethernet. Check if your router has a USB connection that is enabled for mass storage. Note however you will still have to deal with "weird" file systems.
SNIP
My apologies, I did mean USB for the dock and internal hard drive. My router is the Airport Extreme that does have Ethernets, but I am not sure if they're enabled for storage - I need to read about it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
My router is the Airport Extreme that does have Ethernets, but I am not sure if they're enabled for storage - I need to read about it.
You will need to know the specs of your AirPort Extreme and see if it even has the connection ports and/or a hard drive installed to use it as a NASS backup storage device:

Be aware that there have been an excessive number of reports of Airport Extreme failures recently. I don't know if there is a specific cause or not. But I do know that a lot have been failing for the last few years. And that includes the Airport Express models as well.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get a used Mac Mini, attach a large-ish USB hard drive and set it up as a file server with OSX File Sharing and AirDrop. This keeps you within Apple protocols at least.
[/QUOTE]

I had a 5TB Seagate Barracuda HDD installed in my 2018 MacMini. However, I use it as a video server rather than attached storage. In my experience, I believe 2.5" external HDDs are not as robust or long-lasting as 3.5".

If a Mini would work with your router, a bigger external disk should suffice, avoiding (I agree) "weird" OSs!

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
haven't tried these, but they certainly seem to fit the bill. Did you need both Eternet and Wifi? These are just Wifi, I believe.

Be aware of the problems many people are having with the Western Digital NAS Drives.

Might be worth doing a Google search if you are considering any of them/

Here is one article on the problem:
Major Vulnerability Affects All Western Digital NAS Devices Running OS 3

I cannot find the link I was reading just yesterday and how some mac users have been affected. Maybe a Google search would find it for those who are considering using them as a solution to their Network needs.

But the link provided by CanadaRAM above also provides some warnings. See their post #2 above.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 11 of 11 Posts