Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to get suggestions regarding how I can transfer my documents from my pC to my Ipad 2? I have Pages in my Itunes but I find that it will be a long and tedious task to transfer my more than 1100 documents over to Ipad using Pages as - to me - it seems I can only add one document at a time.

Any suggestions to which program I can use to do this transfer in a faster manner?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
if you sign up with mobile me
then you can store your file on the cloud.
connect to your files on your ipad with pages by selecting cloud mobile me..
easy as pie
enjoy

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
You could also install dropbox. Copy all files into your dropbox folder on your mac, let it synchronize (to the cloud). Install dropbox on your iPad. Whenever you want a file you can open dropbox. From dropbox you can open in Pages on the iPad. Any edits you make on the iPad will be synchronized back to your other systems. Does require a network connection so make sure you load any files you might want on the go before leaving home/office (via wifi) or that you have a connection when remote.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
he mentioned " PC "
Okay. It works the same from PC or Mac. Install dropbox extension on the PC and the dropbox app on the iPad. Dropbox will create a folder to store local versions of files in. Those files get synchronized to the dropbox servers and fed out to any other devices running dropbox and signed into the same account. Mac, PC, iOS, web access, probably android and others as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transfer documents from PC to Ipad

Thank you for that a answer. I do though want my files physically on my iPad. Not by connecting to them on the internet as I think you are suggesting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding dropbox - have read somewhere that files that are transferred via dropbox loose some of their content.
Have dropbox on my PC and I have Pages. Just want a program that will allow me to do this transfer in bulk

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I've never had an issue with lost content on dropbox. You can "star" files within dropbox which forces the iPad to maintain the file locally. Would be a serious pain to "star" 1100 files though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping for a program like Laplink that easily transfer lots of files so they physically are transferred over to the other unit. Will make a try with Dropbox and see where it brings me. when I made the first transfers with Pages I lost some files and now they are just gone. Cannot afford to keep doing that anymore

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I'd personally recommend drop box but another option you may be missing is that you can transfer multiple files simultaneously via iTunes, select the files you want to transfer and drag them into the iTunes file sharing box with pages selected as the app to share to. I think this is more along the lines of what you are looking for, that said I wouldn't try it with all 1100 at once... At least not at first...

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I was hoping for a program like Laplink that easily transfer lots of files so they physically are transferred over to the other unit. Will make a try with Dropbox and see where it brings me. when I made the first transfers with Pages I lost some files and now they are just gone. Cannot afford to keep doing that anymore
Check the DropBox settings. There is a local storage setting which dictates how much content is maintained locally for viewing. Ie. Once you've viewed a file it stays in the DropBox cache to avoid redownloading. The largest amount is 1GB I think. This is not the same as starring a file or having the file open in an "external" app and still requires that the file be viewed on order for it to become local.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I talked with Apple they advised me to use Pages instead of Dropbox. when I was using pages I had to 'open' one document at a time so that's not working foe me. If you say I can do it differently with dropbox I will give it a try

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
getting all the files into dropbox is a simple select-all and drag procedure. Getting them out of dropbox onto the iPad is a one-at-a-time affair as far as I can tell. Not optimal but it works.

If you have kids you could pay them 10 cents a file over a few days and all will be done.

There are probably other batch move options out there. Just suggesting this as one option as I know it works. Maybe check out the air sharing app mentioned above.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Can't you do this in iTunes? You select the app and then add documents.
From what I can see in his posts, this isn't working for him.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
If they are PDFs, then Papers is a great way to transfer files.

The problem with the iPad is it has no file system so using things like dropbox become necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Regarding dropbox - have read somewhere that files that are transferred via dropbox loose some of their content.
Have dropbox on my PC and I have Pages. Just want a program that will allow me to do this transfer in bulk
Just curious, how do you use Pages on a PC?

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Just curious, how do you use Pages on a PC?
Sounds like Pages on the iPad linking into iTunes on a PC. Maybe I'm wrong here, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts