Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am playing around with my airport in the office and found other networks in my building and eventually got to know my neighbours better. i also located a few sporadic wifi spots where i hang out or have coffee.
people i come across don't seem to mind i tap into their system for a while to get an email out etc. i also like others to use my network once in a while, made me feel good. seems like its a brotherhood of wifi thing.
i am sure people in condos or some neighbourhoods often find wifi spots a plenty. apart from the net, can we start a wifi locator section here and have members point out where they have or known of these locations as a resource information? should we do a poll or how does anyone here feels about this?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
We put a wireless router in at the Swiss Chalet @ Kipling and Queensway. The owner wanted to see if that helped bring in the lunch crowd. He is a Mac guy too. He has an iBook and an iMac FP too I think.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A swiss chalet? Thats so cool! It would certainly attract my business... if I didnt always have ribs and want to risk my keyboard that is ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
forest hill village (around st. clair & spadina in toronto) has free wifi service for anyone that can use it. i think you have to view a 15-second ad or something (haven't actually used it yet).

wifi brotherhood sounds good...i remember when i borrowed my neighbour's connection (i live in a condo) to download the firmware upgrade for my router (thanks DEFAULT)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello all,

Here by my home, you can park just behind, enter my room and surf as you want around some beers !

In Paris, there's a lot of place now using wifi : some private or public networks, hotels, Mac Do (beuurk), café, railways station, stores and now TGV (high speed railways).

We don't have here any Apple Store.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is why I wonder if paying Wifi will thrive at all - or work succesfully. You have *unsecured* networks everywhere along with open ones that ppl are offering for free, and ppl are able to get on to check their emails etc... There are some areas like BCE place where you may want to be able to pay to get one and check the emails quick being that there is nothing else - but outside of that?? I know that in the Eaton center, both the Sony Store and Telus have a network set-up to surf on. Just a matter of getting comfy (and a full batt) and doing the bit surfing.

I have one, but applied some filtering so that only the lady friend and the biz partner get on. But I'm on the 3rd floor, so gettin in is a little challenging @ times (from street level).

H!

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Paying WiFi will probably work in places like airports, hotels and convention centres where your market is primarily business travellers. ("I'm stuck here anyway -- may as well check my email.")

It may also work well for tourists in large chains like Starbucks because if you're new in town, and don't know where the hotspots are, you can always just wander over to a Starbucks and know that there's a connection there.

An interesting idea is like this cafe in San Francisco that my brother discovered. It's one of the only free hotspots in his neighbourhood, so he goes there regularly for breakfast and an email-check. He wouldn't buy breakfast there regularly otherwise.

·
Registered
292 Posts
a marriott that i stayed in down in florida had free wireless for any customers...i think that'll probably be the way it goes (again, a short ad shown before you actually get your access).

how do those "pay-for-internet" kiosks/machines do? if they don't do well, then pay-for-wireless probably won't do much better...

·
Registered
433 Posts
i use Fatport here in Vancouver. it's all over the place in coffee shops, hotels, etc., and it's very reasonably priced. i don't mind paying for wifi, but i have yet to find a free hotspot somewhere DT or near my house. i can find other networks, but they're usually locked. :(

p.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I know along the road I live, I found 5 networks, 4 completely open as far as I could tell (they might have MAC filtering, might not, but since they still have the default SSIDs and such, I doubt it). There was 1 that had a really strong signal (my guess is singal boosters have been used) and has WEP on.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found this wifi network at work reaching blazing speeds of 1.6-1.9 mps wow!
turns out my neighbour got an ultra connection, what a difference compared to my DSL sympatico in this old house! i read from a post here a while ago and i fully agree this (ehmac) site is slow...

[ November 23, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: rollee ]

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I think that the best idea is to have a membership fee that
you'd pay for a list of locations with unlimited use for
members of the WiFi members network.
I could see this happening in the very near future,

You'd get a account with the network just like you do for
the home Internet access.

Sorry...My head is leaking ideas again.

Dave :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Memorial University, where I teach, is starting a wi-fi initiative similar to that of the University of Georgia, in Athens, GA (where I received my doctorate prior to coming to MUN). By Jan, MUN hopes to have 15% of the campus "covered" by wireless connections. By the end of the Spring semester, there is a hope for 50-75%, and by next Fall, 100% of the campus. Our campus is right in the heart of St.John's. I live all of five city blocks from the far end of MUN's campus, where all of the dorms are located. Thus, for all I know, I might be within range of a wi-fi node. I doubt this, but I know that my iBook is able to receive a one-bar wi-fi signal from my next door neighbor's house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts