Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Sudden iBook Death

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  monokitty 
#1 ·
I have a two-year-old iBook G4 that's never appeared to have any problems before, but it suddenly stopped working on me this afternoon and I don't know why. I accidentally switched off the powerbar that my AC adapter was connected to, and the computer itself turned off and won't restart. It's never had any problems running from the battery before, and when I pressed the test button it showed me that the thing was fully charged. Does anyone have an idea about what might've caused this and whether it's possible to bring my iBook back from the dead, however temporary it might be?

#2 ·
Try a different power adapter, and try a different battery. As unlikely as this sounds, power adapters fail and batteries fail (or reach zero charge) and they may both have failed at the same time. Also, a two-year old battery may show full charge when it only holds a few minutes--it's still fully charged. I'd start by trying a different power adapter.

If the iBook doesn't work from a different power adapter known to work with another computer, you have other problems obviously.

#8 ·
I realize that this is more than a little overdue, but...thank you all so much! Lars, your advice did the trick and my lovely little iBook lives again. HowEver and GlassOnion, thanks for your ideas as well. It's nice to know that there's someplace where I can go for advice without being laughed at for my utter lack of technical knowledge. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.