Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a client out that publishes a weekly newspaper with a subscription of around 7000. They are currently running a custom built database based on dBase on a DOS computer. They tried purchasing Circulation Pro from baseview.com but found it to be unfriendly to Canadian Sort Postal Codes among other things. It was also probably overkill for what they need.

Is anyone here experienced in this sort of thing? If so, can you suggest any other packages that might be available? If not, maybe a custom built FileMaker Pro solution might be required?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I am interested in this kind of work
I am sure Filemaker or Oracle could do the job
I could write a web based package in PHP and Mysql that would be viewed and ran through any web browser and could be networked around several offices across multiple machines.
I could write the program in less than 2 weeks, and it could be expanded to include other kinds of data.
What kind of data does he deal with, and what kind of budget did he have in mind. I think filemaker is about $500 but does not include network ability for that price.
Does this person have a windows or MacOsX based machine?
If he has a MacOS X based machine then puttting in a Open source PHP and MySql web based solution is very straight forward and would be perfect and likely cheaper then anything you could buy( Mainly because I wouldnt charge much, maybe $250 for the whole custom package with some tweaks and upgrades).
If your friend wants another company to host the files then that can be done for $10 to $15 a month, or he could install PHP and MySql and if needed Apache Web Server, all of this is freely downloadable with much help online.
I had no problem downloading and installing and configuring PHP and MySql on my MacOs X machine a couple of weeks ago.
Feel free to discuss any thought or ideas you have or email me at [email protected]
I am looking for work experience and references to build up a resume, I just need a liittle more work in to get my Software Engineering diploma at the local College
regards
Mark Innes

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
one thing to note re: postal code sort for mass mailing

to get the discount you need to sort by postal code according to Canada Post standards - THIS IS NOT A STRAIGHT ALPHANEUMERIC SORT - go to canada posts's website and they will send you an entire kit on how to sort labels for such a mailing

OR

you could just maintain the list yourself and use one of many Canadian mailing services that will do the rest - sorting, stuffing, mailing, etc.
all you need to do is provide them with addresses (usually in some sort of data base friendly import file format - comma delimitted is usually not good, since addresses usually have commas in them

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
macspectrum
Yes, Cnadian Postal codes are a real pain to work into programming, I cant stand them.
I was just thinking about how much work it would take to put in some validation and sort for postal codes, and it would take some effort.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
also
you can put anything in between variable, commas, tabs, double colans is a personal favourite cause who uses double colans?

of course it depends on where you want to take the data after its outputted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts