Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Formerly known by the better name (IMO) Hydra, The Coding Monkeys were forced to change their name. Now instead of 7 brains is better then one, its 42 brains are better then one. I use this editor all the time, and was wondering how something like Hydra could be patented so easily. Its part of common day language like Rendezvous and Window. I don't like the new name either. Comments, thoughts? Discuss away!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Chealion asked:
" wondering how something like Hydra could be patented so easily. Its part of common day language like Rendezvous

Actually, Apple is being sued over the use of the name Rendezvous.

<blockquote>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/32540.html

Business software company Tibco has filed a complaint with the US District Court for Northern California claiming that Apple's Rendezvous technology infringes upon one of its own trademarks, the company said today.

Tibco claims Apple attempted to trade on its goodwill and engage in unfair conduct and - presumably a reference to what it describes as the Mac maker's "continual refusal to honour our trademark". Apple has also allegedly been unwilling to "reach an amicable agreement" over the trademark - cough up money to Tibco, in other words.

Rendezvous is the name Tibco has given to its messaging infrastructure, part of its ActiveEnterprise offering, and says it has the name trademarked since 1994. The company has asked the court to force Apple to pay up for the "competitive and economic harm" it claims the Mac maker has done it.
</blockquote>

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It's not unusual to turn common words into trademarks (apple being the first example that pops to mind).

As for Hydra's new name? Wow. I can't believe how amazingly bad it is. When I first saw this post I thought people were talking about networking tools or something.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
You know... maybe I'm a little naive and chit...

But what the hell does anyone have the right to claim a commenly used word for a registed tradmark/company name/whatever?

Seriously... I think I'm going to claim the word "software" for my new company so any of you MoFo's who dare use it shall feel my wrath! Heed my words... I shall sic my lawyers on any foolish soul who dark use the name of my company Software®™ ©2003. For anything.

You've been warned. I'm not kidding. I've hired Strongblade to use his RubberFish™ to enforce my will. Yeah. It's true.

Really.

--

Manny Peters
CEO and Head Honco
Software™

We make stuff... that's all®
©2003 Software All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You can trademark common words (such as Apple, Sun, etc) so long as it has no relation to the goods or services being sold. So, if you want to trademark "software" it would have to be for something unrelated to software.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read about that, Tibco's patent is "Tibco Rendezvous" while Apple's is plain Rendezvous, the applications of each name are also completely different.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
For some reason, I always thought that if a company/business/entity used a common word of any kind, it had to be modified: ie Apple Computers, Apple Records, etc.

The exception being words that have been altered, combined or created such as Microsoft, Aspyr, Electronic Arts, IBM, etc.

Okay, so these examples are business identity oriented, but in the case of products, like the word Matrix, you'll find various software titles (games, productivity, etc.),hair products, cars and movies.

Anyway, it seems kinda screwy to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts