Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just went and downloaded some OSX icons from the awesome site www.pixelgirlpresents.com (they have loads of desktop images too).. but for the life of me, i can't figure out how to put these OSX icons onto applications.. like, i've seen people who have, for example, a picture of the boston bruins as their hard drive icon on their desktop, and i would like to know how they did it.

can someone help?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Simple :

1) Select the icon file you wanna use (1-click)
2) Get info (option key + I)- a window will be opened
3) Click on the icon in that window and copy it (option key + C)
4) 1-click your hard drive icon, for exemple
5) Get info
6) Click on the icon in the Get info window
7) Paste your new icon (option + V)

Sorry for my bad english, but I guess it's clear enough.

Regards.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This system works for me - except I use the command (apple) key wherever the option key is mentioned in Ingenu's method.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oups, my mistake... I was talking about Command key... :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i went back to the site and it showed me a tutorial on how to do it.

i should've been more thorough.

thanks again!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got a quick question about this stuff...
If i assign an icon for a new folder i just created... will all folders be assigned that icon from then on or is just that folder? Or if I create a new folder will it open with the stock blue folder icon?

I don't know if my quesiton is clear enough..

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not an expert but...this has been my experience. Changing a folder icon is specific to just that folder. Creating any new folder will show the generic blue icon and to change it, you must go through the process for that particular folder. It probably isn't worth the time to use custom icons for any folders you don't intend to keep for a while. By the way, when you initialize a drive, the standard drive icon will replace any customization you have done.

·
Registered
802 Posts
daycus maximus - I don't consider this a stupid question. It took me a long time to work this out. By precisely this means do we explore the intricacies of the Mac OS and educate ourselves in ways to make ourselves at home with the machine.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
You can also use Candybar to alter your default System icons for just about anything, including your default standard folder icon. I've used it many times with no problems. YMMV!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alrighty, now that i've changed them to the cool new icons, is there a way to get them back to the way they were?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts