Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The funniest thing about this post is that I'm listening to Joni Mitchell ("Free Man In Paris" at this moment) as I type a message to a Canadian Mac forum... too much. I give up my age by saying that, but too bad.

Q1: Are the G5 processors in the entry G5's upgradable?
Q2: Can I use a revision 1 Apple Airport card in an entry G5?
(listening to "Raised On Robbery" now)
Q3: Will my wife ever forgive me if I order a G5/1.8 from Apple Canada? (She's cool, but she's also a banker)

Thanks folks, I could research this stuff, but I work hard, have little free time right now, and this is easier.

-GW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here are some answers:

Upgradable G5s, nope. According to xlr8yourmac.com:

The heat sinks on the processors are enormous- a good 4 inches tall. One thing he said is that it will be extremely difficult to upgrade the chips in this machine. Each computer is uniquely paired with its processors to have perfect venting. Changing out processors would throw off the chip that handles the G5 cooling, resulting in (at best) the computer running for a while then shutting off, or (at worst) a non-booting machine.

So - understand your needs before you plunk down the bucks.

Configuring a PowerMac G5, I see that... the Airport Extreme card is set to none, so it doesn't come with it unless you ask for it. That also means that a version 1 card won't physically fit.

Question 3: Flowers, dinner at her favourite restaurant, movies she's wanted to see...

Hope that helps.

John

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Q1: Are the G5 processors in the entry G5's upgradable?

Not sure. But as with most things tech, by the time you're ready to upgrade the chip, the specs for the rest of the machine tend to change (e.g., new motherboard, RAM, etc, etc). It's always best to plan your purchase on the assumption that you'll be keeping it for at least 2-3 years.

Q2: Can I use a revision 1 Apple Airport card in an entry G5?

I don't think so. The new G5s use the Airport Extreme card. Mind you, you'd have no trouble selling your existing Airport card (READ: I'LL BUY IT!), leaving you with a difference of about $30-40 to pay. So no biggie. Don't forget, the Airport Extreme cards work fine with the older model Airport Base Stations.

Q3: Will my wife ever forgive me if I order a G5/1.8 from Apple Canada? (She's cool, but she's also a banker)

I dunno...if she stays mad just ship that pesky G5 to me. I'd be happy to solve that problem ;) Use bank talk to defend your purchase, and say things like ROI, COB, and infrastructure investment.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The bus timing is also a factor. The subsystem interconnects are tuned to the FSB speed. Probably possible to change with jumpers (cos Apple is hardly likely to produce a separate component for each processor speed). The fact is that most processors are upgradable if there is perceived to be a market. By the time you might want to upgrade your G5 the new chips will run cooler, etc. Of course Apple doesn't want to encourage chip upgrades if it can sell a better machine in the first place.

There may be a hack for using an Airport 1 card in a PCMCIA/media card USB connector but its probably not worth the effort over the integrated solution. The Airport Extreme connectors are completely different beasts in terms of their connectors and there is no market for selling adaptors. It also sounds like you need an external antenna for 802.11g reception in the G5 (presumably in the box). Probably due to interference from the frame.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great answers. Thanks.
Due to the nice jump in performance, I guess I can live without the processor upgrade option. Although, that was always a nice part of owning a Mac, another way to make a machine viable for longer.

Lots to consider with G5's... no more buying cheap ATA drives for internal storage. The RAM is likely more money, at least for now. And the price jump for the machine itself.
I'm struggling.

-GW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts