Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just chuckling that I use $4000 worth of G5 and monitor and Sound sticks to lull me to sleep with the bubbling from Marine Aquarium ( which has awesomely smooth graphics on a G5 )

My ONLY saving grace is it's also chewing on SETI while lullabying.

anyone else??

I changed the title as these are some really cool and funny uses. I gotta think the iSight is going to generate some interesting uses

[ September 16, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
My 12" PB G4 (thanks for the lead on this BTW Macdoc, I got it from Solutions in Computing) will often become a $2500 FM radio when I want to listen to CBC Radio One

·
Registered
809 Posts
da_j: sorry this is a bit off topic, but when you listen to cbc radio 1 do you use quicktime, real, or windows media player? I find the quicktime stream sounds thin and tinny compared to the other two.
Is it just me?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Not that off topic ;)

Yeah I find that the quicktime stream is very "tin-y" (as in tin can and not tiny) when compared to the real audio stream.

The problem is that they only have about 248 real audio streams... so getting one is a challenge sometimes.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Screen Savers. Just leave the screen saver on (as the desktop picture) while doing something, so the computer seems somewhat interactive and alive while you do work.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I purchased a new stereo receiver about a year ago and it happened to come with a USB port of all things, combine that with my 12" PB and iTunes it make for a great jukebox when my wife and I have company over.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I use a G4 400 to emulate a Commodre 64 and an Original Ninteno console

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Funny Macdoc with the aquarium thing. I do the same thing, except its to lull my 7 and 5 year old to sleep in the basement when there's a thunderstorm.
(But I also like the sound of bubbles)

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Here's a pretty stupid one - I use my Win2K PC as an external floppy drive for my G4. I just use Windows file sharing to share the floppy on the PC. Then, I connect to that share with the G4 (Jaguar). The PC's floppy drive mounts on my Jaguar desktop, and I can move files on or off any floppy disc that's inserted in it. The floppys involved have to be DOS formatted, of course.

Pretty dumb, eh? Using a valuable PC as a mere floppy drive! Or, you could say, at least it's good for something!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
JAMG - I do the same thing! I'm playing Giana Sisters and Times of Lore in my spare time. I just discovered that these games that I played 15-16 years ago as a kid can be played in emulation! Funny, I don't remember the graphics being that bad... :( That's the thing about nostalgia - thing is seldom as good as it was remembered to be....

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
My computer is used to wake me up.

When I come home from work it reverts to streaming radio or chatting with iChat A/V

Often times the above are combined with dabbling with my digital art.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I sometimes carry my ipod or ibook just to look cool. The ultimate fashion accessories! The ipod is droolworthy to say the least.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
macdoc - Lars asked me the same question when we had a thread awhile back. I use, as when I got it, it was free. Its now shareware, but if on VersionTracker you search for 'desktop screen saver', you'll find at least 20 applications that a GUI for the terminal command that allows you to run a screensaver as your desktop background. It uses Quartz Extreme, and if you have a weak video card, or older CPU it can be taxing on the system. For you, you don't have those problems.

The terminal code is as follows:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework
/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/
Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

(Remove the returns I put in, which are there to not break the formatting of the page). It all fits on 1 line. Though I suggest using one of the applications on VT, as its easier to start and stop the screensaver as need be.

and type this to kill it

killall ScreenSaverEngine

Whatever screensaver is chosen in Screen Effects will show up as the background. Its funny watching the fish swim by as I'm dragging icons around.

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts