Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Stuff We Want Apple To Release

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
They need a faster version of iPhoto and they should make a 2-button mouse with scroll wheel.

The ridiculous, historical, one-button Mac mouse purists be damned! There was a time one button could hack it...but the times have changed. :D ;)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'll bite. Perhaps we should have a race GoGoGadget Dude. Who can do some fine Photoshop editing faster and more accurately - the multi-button mouse advocate or the single-button chooser. Harry Potter's wand has no branches - Mats Sundin has but a single stick ... you can only click on one icon at a time no matter what you do ...

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Elmer good topic
Multibutton mice are not about clicking on icons - they are about NOT clicking on icons amongst other uses.
4 of the 5 buttons on mine stops me from having to move around and find and click on an icon or window.

Once again it's about choice tho MS has everything a Mac users could want in multibutton mice that work perfectly in both OSes. MS HAS a Mac team and it shows. :cool:

as for the item - a low cost headless Mac in the $999 range with some open architecture ( ie drives, vid card )

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Or a 2 button mouse with 2 scroll wheels,
One scroll wheel for up and down and the second scroll
wheel for sideways.

I really hate having to scroll sideways on my 17" screen,
But having a second sideways scroll would be neat.

Maybe even one scroll wheel with a multi function would be nice.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Dave you could likely program the MS Office keyboard large left hand scroll wheel to scroll sideways. Not sure but it's in a handy location. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Multibutton mice are not about clicking on icons - they are about NOT clicking on icons amongst other uses.
Nicely put. I find the keyboard more than adequate for this, but my main reason to use the one-button is those long periods holding down the mouse button when moving, drawing, cloning, painting, selecting, etc. Some would say I should get a pen tablet for this; well, maybe but in some cases they just make things more complex.
I admit I should have put a multi-button mouse on that list - my bias blinded me to the possibility - it was not a conscious choice

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I used to use a three button mouse with X11. On the Mac, I couldn't figure out how to make it recognize combinations properly. For example, some Gimp commands would involve something like holding down the Alt (Meta) key, holding down the right mouse button and then clicking the left mouse button. It couldn't seem to handle clicking two buttons at once and pressing a modifier key, and this was no problem on Linux PCs. Funny, since Maya handles combinations of mouse buttons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
dolawren, you know that if you shift-scroll that your scroll wheel will scroll sideways?

Say that 5 times fast :D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
dolawren, you know that if you shift-scroll that your scroll wheel will scroll sideways?
Doh!!!!...I can't believe it...Yeesh!!!
Wacom or Logitech didn't put that in the manual.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The ridiculous, historical, one-button Mac mouse purists be damned! There was a time one button could hack it...but the times have changed.
that's easy to say here at ehmac, because just aboot everyone here is well above the average user's proficiency level. i've seen my mother try to use a multibutton input device, and it's an operation of trial and error. does this button do what i want? nope, try another. i think apple should make a multibutton mouse, but i don't think it should be standard, but a bto option just like extra ram, which we here consider necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Well being a serious Apple afficianado... I'd say what I am missing most is the the Newton 2...

Although it will never happen (seeing that the handheld market is no longer a growth market) I think an Apple PDA is long overdue.

With the technology today, bluetooth, irda, gprs, etc... there is no reason why it wouldn't fit in the "digital" life catagory. Imagine an app that could serve as a universal remote (for your TV and Mac), pda, phone, walkman, etc...

Most highend PDA's have these features anyway... If I was Apple I would have bought Handspring before Palm did... It would have given them an instant foothold in that market.

But I think it will never happen. The Newton (and I still have my Original Message Pad) was way way ahead of its time... a very ambitous product... too bad Palm beat them out with what the orginal mac was... simple form/function.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, a Newton^2 is long overdue! In fact the Newton 2100 has numerous features I wish were included in a Palm. I carry my iPod with me everywhere, however it just isn't as effective as a Palm, especially if you need to input something. Then maybe Apple could also drop Palm's plugins, and revitalize the Newt programming tools.

It still kills me to watch Apple sell of Claris Organizer which has now become Palm Desktop, and then start all over with iCal. iCal still isn't as robust as it needs to be.

In the poll however I voted for a cocoa AppleWorks. This should be touted as the flagship app on all new Macs. It's current rendition was a fantastic example of porting a classic app to a carbon app (which was it's purpose to attract developers) however personally I think the program needs a MAJOR overhaul. I have yet to have a pleasant experience with it (crashing, data loss, etc), and I find it hard to sell a new Mac and not tell the customer to be weary of using it. AppleWorks is on every Mac in the educational field, and I can imagine the nightmares that they face. If Apple wants back in the Educational field, then it's time to give AppleWorks a revamp.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Perhaps Apple should have something like...
The iThinkPod
A sort of combination iPod and a ThinkPad,
Might as well get IBM involved...
iThink it would be kind of fun.

I can just see the commercials...
iThink therefore iAm.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It probably wouldn't take much to make the iPod as a Newton2. Bigger touch colour screen, expansion slot for accessories (camera, wireless etc).

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I agree... Appleworks needs to be overhauled... re written from the ground up as a native OSX app.

If apple was smart... they would take the same approach to Office productivity apps as they did with the OS. Apple took a great open Source OS (Mach BSD) and make the outstanding OSX from it. Now what they need to do is take OpenOffice and do the same. The basic framwork is there... what they need to do is clean it up, work on the UI, package it... say hello to... Apple Office, say goodbye to MS Office (which I have to say in all fairness is actually very good on the Mac... much better than on the PC).

We want Apple Office!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would say Office v.X is slower (other than the startup time) than Office XP, yet easier to use.

Keynote is great looking. A whole office suite seems like a much bigger challenge. The new AppleWorks needs to be easier to use, faster, be good at publishing to a web page, have better file conversion filters, and be fully integrated with the iApps, Font Book and the rest of the OS.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I too am in the multi-button mouse camp, as a matter of fact today I was looking for a multi-button/scroll BlueTooth wireless optical mouse for my Powerbook...no luck. Anyone putting one of these out in the near future?

My other votes were for a Cocoa Appleworks and faster iApps...iMovie is just killing me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts