Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids with religious parents are better behaved and adjusted than other children, according to a new study that is the first to look at the effects of religion on young child development.
Link

Nice to hear something positive. :)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Now we'll wait patiently for those anti-religion peeps to state, "It's the positive side effect of being brainwashed." ;)

C'mon.. I'm waiting for it.

:D

Secondly, the types of values and norms that circulate in religious congregations tend to be self-sacrificing and pro-family, Bartkowski told LiveScience. These “could be very, very important in shaping how parents relate to their kids, and then how children develop in response,” he said.

Finally, religious organizations imbue parenting with sacred meaning and significance, he said.

University of Virginia sociologist W. Bradford Wilcox, who was not involved in the study, agrees. At least for the most religious parents, “getting their kids into heaven is more important than getting their kids into Harvard,” Wilcox said
Well put, well put, and completely true. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
The anti-religion types have no idea what they complain about. All the experience they have is the "thought" or "memory" from childhood that they did not care for what they were taught. They have decided that atheism is right and religion is wrong.

The odd thing about it, is these same people believe in the global warming scam. It kind of figures, doesn't it?

Don't believe in one religion, but is it not odd they subscribe to another in the form of the fear mongering global warming religion?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The research concludes that religious children are more obedient and conformist, in the eyes of their parents and teachers. That's hardly earth-shattering...

What's next? "Children of athletic parents are more likely to participate in sports?"

And I doubt that religion is the silver bullet here. I imagine there are a number of activites and hobbies that would produce the same results when the family consistently participates in it as a healthy group.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
SINC, you really do a craptastical job with that paint brush sometimes, you know?

If you actually knew something about Atheism, it would be that most couldn't give a flying hoot what religion others prefer. You know why? It's because they don't care. Honestly, I really don't have to know what religion you subscribe to when I'm reading points that you're making on other topics. But, when you make posts like the one above, it makes me lose a little respect for you.

Now, on topic.

Personally, I think it's rather idiotic to think that you can put any higher standards on a religious family over an atheist one. Just because someone's atheist means that they're not going to put their kids on a pedistal just like the religious person? Give me a break.

Newsflash: A person/group of people can still have morals and standards without subscribing to religion in any form.

Why do all "religious" people automatically get assumed to be Christian? At least the article mentions some of the others. There's many other forms of religion.. many of which have a great chance to be better at parenting than Christian parents. Just as good a chance as an Atheist..

From the article:

It’s also possible that the correlation between religion and child development is the other way around, he said. In other words, instead of religion having a positive effect on youth, maybe the parents of only the best behaved children feel comfortable in a religious congregation.

“There are certain expectations about children’s behavior within a religious context, particularly within religious worship services,” he said. These expectations might frustrate parents, he said, and make congregational worship “a less viable option if they feel their kids are really poorly behaved.”

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Don't believe in one religion, but is it not odd they subscribe to another in the form of the fear mongering global warming religion?
Please tell me your joking here and I just don't get it. I can't believe an intelligent, educated adult could honestly be unable to distinguish science from religion.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
It’s also possible that the correlation between religion and child development is the other way around, he said. In other words, instead of religion having a positive effect on youth, maybe the parents of only the best behaved children feel comfortable in a religious congregation.
Hmm, so it's quite possible religion has no effect.

But when parents argued frequently about religion, the children were more likely to have problems.
So, let me get this straight. If your parents argue a lot, you are more likely to be a problem child. What? That can't be! Arguing constantly in front of your kids makes for an unstable family environment!?! No!!!

Here's a news flash. Good parents are good for kids. Good parents need strong morals and values, NOT NECESSARILY RELIGIOUS BASED. Good parents need patience, and know how to discipline their child. None of these things are religious based. Children need to be parented, by their parents, not by "God".

P.S. Leave it to SINC to try to derail this thread with a "Global Warming is fake!" comment. Everyone remember. God is real. Guns are good. Scientists are frauds. Carry on now.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Nice to hear something positive. :)
There are certainly positive things about religion, but you'll note that the study didn't say religion was "good" for kids... just that the kids of religious parents were better behaved according to the criteria they used. Interestingly, in my experience most children are kind and generally 'good' even if they're not well behaved. The only children I've met that were genuinely malicious were very well behaved (and, perhaps incidentally, the children of religiously devout parents).

But even if it were true that religion had only beneficial effects, that wouldn't have any bearing on weather the religion were true.

I very much appreciate the great music and art that has come out of religious traditions, and the brass quintet I play with rehearses and performs in a beautiful cathedral, which has fantastic acoustics (and a nice organ). So I enjoy some of the positive effects of religion on occasion. But that's not evidence that any of the mythology or metaphysics taught by the church is true. Nor is it evidence that there are not harmful effects resulting from religious adherence.

It's obviously a matter for debate, but my position is that the harm outweighs the benefits. And that the metaphysical tenets of the Abrahamic religions, in particular, but supernaturalism in general, are illogical and unsupportable.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
I forget, remind me when you became a trained scientist qualified to critically review the research you are dismissing as 'fiction' here?
Remind me why you keep blathering on about trained scientists. Oh I forgot...you are trained scientist.

Now what research are you talking about? Or have you taken things personally again?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think this quote gets at the crux of the issue:

But as for why religious organizations might provide more of a boost to family life than secular organizations designed to do the same thing, that’s still somewhat of a mystery
What secular organizations play a role similar to churches in our society? I can't think of any. There are certainly organizations that perform fragments of the role the church plays, but none that fill the complete niche. And for families that need support, there's nothing in the secular realm that is anywhere close.

This is one of the major failings of secularism. It's all well and good to look at the world objectively and rationally, and to try to see what's really there rather than living in a fairy tale. But it requires a strong mind and a grounded personality. If you need help, the only place you're going to get it is from your community, and atheists have not come very far in community development.

Atheists have a lot to learn from religions regarding building communities and satisfying irrational emotional needs.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
Atheists have a lot to learn from religions regarding building communities and satisfying irrational emotional needs.
With comments like that, I suspect enlightened atheist aren't likely to replace the religious as a source of comfort any time soon.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
You persist in making the claim that the research showing that GHGs are contributing to global warming is flawed/ficticious/wrong. I'm asking you what qualifications you have to make such claims? Quite simple.
You want ANOTHER global warming thread? Why don't you ask the same questions of people who agree with your GHG theories? Perhaps they don't have the qualifications necessary to agree with you? It would certainly invalidate their input.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Why don't you ask the same questions of people who agree with your GHG theories? Perhaps they don't have the qualifications necessary to agree with you? It would certainly invalidate their input.
They aren't my GHG theories. They are the theories proposed by the climatologists who've studied the data and understand the physics, chemistry and other atmospheric processes involved. There are thousands of scientists with relevant qualifications that agree on this subject.

The only particularly relevant expertise I have on this subject is my understanding of the scientific process and the sociology of science. This leads me to appreciate the fact that scientific communities only reach the level of consensus exhibited by the climatologists on the GHG issue when the data is unequivocal and the theory is so well supported that it really is beyond any reasonable doubt.

That doesn't prove anything. But one thing that the general public doesn't seem to understand about science is that we aren't about proving things... we *disprove*. And there's nothing so good for an ambitious scientist's career as coming along and falsifying a well-established paradigm. Science is a self-correcting learning processes that has a very good record of recognizing where it's gone wrong. So when theories become established and gain attention (and grant money starts flowing into the field) the chances of an incorrect theory persisting long become vanishingly small.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The anti-religion types have no idea what they complain about. All the experience they have is the "thought" or "memory" from childhood that they did not care for what they were taught. They have decided that atheism is right and religion is wrong.

The odd thing about it, is these same people believe in the global warming scam. It kind of figures, doesn't it?

*Slaps hand on forehead and sighs*

1 - 20 of 55 Posts