Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threat Level - Wired Blogs

This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard, and I wrote the principal of the school to tell them that too.

If they are going to start arresting students for creative writing because they were disturbed, then they also need to clear their library of all material that may be disturbing to people (This includes any Bibles as I am disturbed by people being hung on crosses and whipped) and launch class action lawsuits to all publishing companies for printing and distributing the likes of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and every other author that has written anything close to 'disturbing'.

I just want to slap people!

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
What was actually in the written text, then?

I read through the links and nothing specific was stated. Edit: found it. Gross.

No doubt this time it is a massive over-reaction but still it would be helpful to know what was in the essay.

Seung-Hui Cho, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, all wrote disturbing things before gunning for their teachers and fellow students.

What made this teacher react this way, though? What made the kid write the essay? What made Seung-Hui Cho's teachers send him for help after he wrote what he did?

Here is what is was like for a boy growing up in Taber, Alberta, before he went back to the high school he couldn't attend out of fear and shot Jason Lang:
Court heard the boy was frequently terrorized by peers since age six and was afraid to leave his Taber home for weeks leading up to the shooting for fear of yet another beating. Psychologists and psychiatrists said the isolated and lonely boy was exceptionally bright but disliked school because he was constantly ridiculed and bullied.
Marc Lepine, who gunned down 13 female students and 1 female staff person at Ecole Polytechnique had a great upbringing, with his father
once beating his son so hard on the face that the marks were visible a week later. He discouraged tenderness between mother and child, as he considered it spoiling.
Nice world.

Add Kimveer Gill, the Dawson College shooter, if you recall he had written some pretty disturbing things. How do you know when the disturbing text will turn into action, how much is enough to warrant closer inspection?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Given what happened at VT recently, I can't say I am surprised or necessarily opposed to a school taking this kind of action when someone writes what that person wrote.

I mean, is it any big surprise that someone who writes (creative writing or not) about taking a P90 into class, killing people and then having sex with the dead bodies, would be dealt with quickly and severely.

If I was running that school I would rather deal with screaming libertarians on the internet than risk the lives of the children in my care and having every cable news station on the planet descend on the school asking why some action wasn't taken given what this person wrote beforehand.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Here is the student's "explanation":

Authors Note: This production of writing is done in the most accurate manner I can depict of the original writing. Grammar and spelling mistakes are included at the best accuracy possible. The first phrase in questions is in fact a Green Day song. The second reference to drugs is in relation to the schools history of drug problems. I am personally clean of all controlled substances. The statement in quotes is done so as a non personal statement as I would have done in reference to a character for a story. The reference to the gun P90 is from a video game, combined with a reference to necrophilia as a comment regarding a seriously messed up situation. A situation such as the rape of villagers during a raid by U.S. troops in Vietnam. I really do not care too much about by continuing academia as in relation to grades. I do however believe on continuing my personal education, and I am actually still working for my classes. My views on the graduation requirements explain themselves. The reference to Mario and Pudge( a DOTA character) are completely random as is this essay. The reference to a person being smart and people being dumb is based on a quote from "Men in Black." I generally do believe the public opinion is best. The rest of the essay is rather self explanatory, the main statement in question I have already released a comment online about. I request that all information I have released is read together, and nothing given separately or as an excerpt as the administration has seen fit to do.

On an additional note, I have completed the MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station) examinations, and yes a psychiatric evaluation is included in the process. If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I'm qualified to attend school.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The assignment

Write nonstop for a set period of time.
Do not make corrections as you write.
Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
Write whatever comes into your mind.
Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough.
The kid has no prior history of issues.

Way over the top reaction.
English teacher that doesn't get irony.

here's the info -

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/allen_lees_essa.html

the student's statement

Lee's statement explaining the essay:

Authors Note: This production of writing is done in the most accurate manner I can depict of the original writing. Grammar and spelling mistakes are included at the best accuracy possible. The first phrase in questions is in fact a Green Day song. The second reference to drugs is in relation to the schools history of drug problems. I am personally clean of all controlled substances. The statement in quotes is done so as a non personal statement as I would have done in reference to a character for a story. The reference to the gun P90 is from a video game, combined with a reference to necrophilia as a comment regarding a seriously messed up situation. A situation such as the rape of villagers during a raid by U.S. troops in Vietnam. I really do not care too much about by continuing academia as in relation to grades. I do however believe on continuing my personal education, and I am actually still working for my classes. My views on the graduation requirements explain themselves. The reference to Mario and Pudge( a DOTA character) are completely random as is this essay. The reference to a person being smart and people being dumb is based on a quote from "Men in Black." I generally do believe the public opinion is best. The rest of the essay is rather self explanatory, the main statement in question I have already released a comment online about. I request that all information I have released is read together, and nothing given separately or as an excerpt as the administration has seen fit to do.

On an additional note, I have completed the MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station) examinations, and yes a psychiatric evaluation is included in the process. If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I'm qualified to attend school.
I'd have a close look at the teacher......

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
The assignment

Quote:
Write nonstop for a set period of time.
Do not make corrections as you write.
Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
Write whatever comes into your mind.
Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough.
That "assignment" comes from 90s self-help books and the idea was that the writing should never been seen by anyone. Self-help books from that era suggested that the writing be burned after it was done. The whole idea of "freedom" was in the promise that nobody would ever see it and was meant to open your mind so you could do more focused creative writing. The teacher needs some re-education.

I sure hope nobody ever reads any of my free-association writings - I know where I'd be spending my twilight years.

Margaret

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Very interesting info :clap:.....and right on the button.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The kid has no prior history of issues.
Because that proves anything, too. Everyone starts somewhere. The ability or want to gun down a number of other students doesn't have a pre-requisite of a history of violence or issues. There are plenty of those who will keep it ('it' being hatred, or other similar feelings) tucked deep down inside and then release it all at once with a major attack at a single time.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Oh spare me the pontification.....did you even read what he wrote or understand the references.
Clearly you're in the same fog as the teacher.

Your an exemplar of the type that would ban Ulysses because you don't understand it and somehow feel it's "threatening".

By your stanards all the anti-Bush ranters should be arrested for their violence potential.....just in case.

The teacher and the board are miles out of line and that will out.
At best, they are covering their asses.

How to radicalize a kid thoroughly....this is one way. Just ask those teens that went to the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts