Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come time to remove the leash and install my shiny new OS.

Farewell, Jaguar. You have served me faithfully for the past year. But there is a new cat in town.

So, if you don't hear from me in a day or so, I was eaten by my copy of Panther...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
mmmmmeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwww!!! crunch crunch...BBUUUUUURRRRRRPPPPP! haha...yeah Panther is alot of fun thats for sure...just installing Panther on the 3rd mac in a row!! try that with winblows....OOPS you can't you need to buy 2 more copies at full retail in order to do that....I need more money for another aquisition (MS trying to buy itunes music store from apple) says BILLY GOAT (gates) gruff...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm alive!

But, I have problems.

Seems i get the most screwy refresh screen problem...

Moving any window (even scrolling within a browser window) doesn't refresh properly.

This PDF Screenshot demonstrates the visual artifacting of the problem (in it, i dragged 1 window around a bit.

The redraw issue appears to clear (ie: screen redraws) when i do just about anything to the window (resize, use expose to move the stuff and back again, etc.

As well, I have 1 resolution. 1024x768 at Millions of colours 85Hz. If I change even 1 of these factors, I get a black screen

This seems to be linked to the video card and possibly the video drivers. My card is an Apple-based GeForce4MX card (64MB RAM).

Anyone else getting this kind of a problem?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Did you do an upgrade I suspect?
Try running Macjanitor or Onyx etc or perhaps an install and archive keeping permissions might be in order.
Sounds like a whacky driver and the nVidia can be notirous for that.
Perhaps a complete shut down.
Let us know

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a reformatting of the drive and a clean install of the OS.

I did do a custom install, i added the Xcode, removed the oriental fonts, reduced the printer drivers to just Epson 2 9which is the one for my printer0 and removed support for all the non english languages.

I will try a clean install again, and also pull out any extra cards (I am writing a review for a FW 800 card, and I noticed an older 2nd monitor PCI card is in there)

I suspect it is just those wacky NVIDIA drivers though. I'll try to find my original card for the machine too at try that... but 16MB non quartz extreme sucks considering I want to use a 64MB card with quartz extreme...

*SIGH*

But otherwise, it's been impressive performance all around...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going for attempt #2. If i'm not back in an hour...

...just wait longer!

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Just a thought or two here StrongBlade...

Are you still using the Powerbook?

Are you still surfing the web while sitting on the Big White Telephone?

If both of the above are true (they were late last year, as I recall)....

Then might I suggest that the fumes may actually have affected the performance of your CPU? This nasty environment may have permanently damaged your trusty PowerBook.

Scary stuff. :eek: :eek: ;)

Perhaps a lengthy stay in a truly well-ventilated atmosphere might facilitate the install. To evacuate the evil spirits...so to speak.

Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, re-installed (after removing the other cards) and used an easy install, but the same problem. Definitely smells like NVIDIA driver issue.

Yes, I do still have, and use, the Powerbook. But I haven't tried installing it on the Powerbook (I currently don't have anything on the PB backed up yet)

That said, here is the info from System Profiler on my G4 for reference:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.7)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.28f1
Serial Number: XA9470C3GJF
Sales Order Number: M7232LL/A

GeForce4 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: CRT
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0171
Revision ID: 0x00a3
ROM Revision: 1091

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: CRT
VRAM (In Use): 64 MB
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3 (7B85)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.0.0
Boot Volume: Matrix-P
Computer Name: Strongblade’s Computer
User Name: Strongblade (rob)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The redraw issue only happens when I:

1. Drag a window on the screen.
2. Use the arrows in a window to scroll
3. Click & hold the scroll bar and drag it up/down or left/right

The redraw clears up when I move something over the unredrawn object. (menu pops up, dock is unhidden, or use expose to move/arrange windows).

As well, I have noticed that Energy Saver, when it kicks in, will call up a kernel panic (a shutdown-friendly one where you hold the power button down to safely shut off) after you try to do anything requiring a window or screen redraw of some sort.

I have done a clean install (again) with the Easy install option. No extra PCI cards, and even no printer or hub or scanner plugged in.

My iPod is also unplugged (I am concerned since reading the macdoc warning that it might delete everything, since it's where I backed everything up, since I have no way to burn CDs)

I can shut off Energy Saver anyway (I never use it) to eliminate the kernel panic at least.

I still can't change the resolution without losing the entire screen (goes black and never returns unless I shudown manually)

Oh, my display is a 17" NEC MultiSync FE700, in case that might be of some importance.

Hmmm... some interesting stuff in the console log thingy... might hold a clue... Ah-HAH!

Kernel Panic in the OS with the NVIDIA Renderer!

[ October 25, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Strongblade ]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A snippet from the system log:

Oct 25 18:29:24 localhost SystemStarter: The "HasShadow" window property is obsolete. Use CGSSetWindowShadowAndRimParameters(cid, wid, 0.0,0.0, 0,0, CGSNoShadowStyle) to turn off the window shadow instead. Set a break-point on CGSLogMessage to find out where this property is set.

Now I may not understand quite what is going on, but seeing words like "obsolete" makes me wonder...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay... it's official. NVidia drivers for the GeForce4MX on a G4/450 Sawtooth are buggered...

I popped in that old ATI PCI card I got and hooked up the monitor to that. Bingo. redraw issue gone...

I can even switch resolutions...

I've sent a bug report to Apple's feedback site on OS X.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I guess I'll wait on Panther for a bit. My Sawtooth is runnin jes fine right now, thank you. :D

And I am still carrying the scars from trying to get Jaguar onto my Pismo last year at this time. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts