Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for software to get directions while travelling around North America. Similar to the stuff available for PC, does it exist?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am a bit confused why do you need software? I don't use software for map driving directions, I just go to maquest.ca and put in the starting and ending address. Gives me a map or written instructions to the door.

John

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I've been using Streets and Trips for a few years

That would be the "Similar to the stuff available for PC" part of it
You would think with all those laptops Apple is selling, someone would jump on this. :(

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
jlcinc wrote:
I am a bit confused why do you need software? I don't use software for map driving directions, I just go to maquest.ca and put in the starting and ending address. Gives me a map or written instructions to the door.

Short answer: Mapquest? [email protected]#[email protected]#?

Long answer: I've been using Streets and Trips for a few years, and it's far better than Mapquest, if only on the merit of its user interface[1]. I find using S&T faster, easier, and far more pleasant than using Mapquest. Plus I can use it even if I don't have a connection to the internet (useful when you're in the middle of nowhere with just a laptop).

[1] Mapquest just reinforces my idea that web browsers suck when it comes to running applications.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IS there any new apps out there?

I started working with a small delivery company and want street maps on my mac while im working. Mapquest will not work because I need multiple locations and no internet in the car.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Google Earth can do this quite easily as well. There's also a plethora of iPhone apps for this purpose. I often load my directions in Google Maps prior to leaving the house, so no internet connection needed.

In fact, we did exactly this for a seven-week road trip all across the US -- it never once let us down, and that was before the iPhone had GPS!

·
Registered
42 Posts
well sometimes i have to go in to the country and I have the iphone 3g yet its doesn't load as fast as I want it too because its usually on edge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What about.... google maps? It's free and works really great. maps.google.com will give you driving, walking and transit directions as well as traffic report and streetview in some areas.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
We had Streets&Trips at work and gave up on it because we found that even the updates were horribly out of date for our needs. lol

Believe it or not we just use Google maps now. Some of us (me included) use an old fashioned paper mapbook or road atlas and a GPS. My cheap low end TomTom is surprisingly good.

Most of the high end routing software I used in the past was and remains Windows only. Products like PCMiler, TruckStops

1 - 11 of 11 Posts