Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked yesterday about whether there was a Strawberry Ibook produced. I'm someone knows that. If there was can you still buy them.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
There was, but it's discontinued. If you or your friend is into eBay, there are loads of Strawberry & other coloured clamshell model iBooks up for sale. I think the last versions topped out at 466mhz (G3 of course).

In June a friend of mine bought a gorgeous mint-condition Blueberry iBook on eBay & I set it up to run OS X. Which it does competently, if not blindingly fast.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
There was, but it's discontinued.
Actually, there wasn't. There was Indigo (Blueberry), Lime, Tangerine and Graphite iBooks of the Clamshell versions. No other colors. The only Strawberry or "Ruby" colored Macs were in the iMac series.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
LOL

Yeah, nice Tangerine iBook with pink thrown into it. ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The clamshells do OSX? I thought they did not.

RtC
The only G3 that doesn't do OS X is the original Powerbook G3. Every other factory-G3 runs OS X and is officially supported under OS X by Apple.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
When my friend bought her Blueberry iBook on eBay I told her sure, I could upgrade it to OS X for her - with a warning that it could be a real slug. Her iBook is a G3 running at 300mhz, with 320mb RAM.

I spent an evening upgrading OS 9 to 9.2.2, then came time to install OS X. I was wary going into it but everything went just FINE. The thing runs OS X much quicker than I thought it would. It's no match for my iMac but I was very surprised at how well this little beauty works. Perfect for what she bought it for - writing, e-mail, surfing the web. Even Classic isn't that bad. Sure, Photoshop would probably be iffy but that's not what she bought it for.

To digress...

When she came by to pick her Blueberry up I felt proud as a peacock & she was quite pleased that it turned out so well. I took advantage of the occasion to demo my iMac for her husband, who was mesmerised not only by the iMac but by OS X.

Days later my friend said her husband was on her iBook all the time. He's going switch and get an iMac this autumn. Score another for the good guys. :cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
:mad:

quote:
The clamshells do OSX? I thought they did not.

RtC
The only G3 that doesn't do OS X is the original Powerbook G3. Every other factory-G3 runs OS X and is officially supported under OS X by Apple.

-Yup....every G3 but the original Powerbook.......and MY BEIGE G3!!!!
Just mine,nobody elses........grrrrr.....

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
RtC, --what, you forget about me?

I've been running X on my Tangerine iBook since 10.0.whatever :D

It's been my main platform for well over a year now, no problem. Heck, I even make regular use of Photoshop on this thing!

The only thing I don't bother trying to do is use iMovie (no easy way to import video anyway, plus the HD is too darn tiny, at 3.2 gig).

:cool:
M

·
Registered
366 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much would a clamshell ibook cost one these days? Say, a later version, at 466Mhz as someone earlier said was the fastest.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The 466 MHz iBooks were really good machines, even had a DVD-ROM drive. Heck, they're still good portables.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts