Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am curious as to what people use for storing information. Zip 100, 250, 750, burned cds, floppies(???), or anything else.
Also, how do you transfer information from one computer to another? As well as platforms? (PC)
A retail person told me zip 100's are dead, yet they are the fastest for quick saving and transfering. IMHO. I also work with the PC crowd, and they are just weening off floppies and are using zips, so I constantly use zips to transfer material.
Please let me know your solutions and where the future will be.
Thank you,
Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use CDs for archiving information and usually for sending files to printers or clients since they are inexpensive.

For transfering files, I've got a couple of external hard drives which work great. I also have an ethernet network set up for file transfers.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I used to use zip 100's for file transfer all the time, but I have now gone to a usb minidrive. These devices are available in 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 meg sizes almost anywhere (including Future Shop), and they work in both Macs and PC's. They measure about 0.5x3x10 cm and have a clip to fit in your pocket, or sometimes a keychain. I bought a 64 meg minidrive for about $80 (probably cheaper now) and use it all the time to move all newly created files from home to work. These devices plug into any usb port on your Mac (including the keyboard!), and the Mac (OS 9 or X) sees them as a hard drive without any special drivers not already part of the system. Thus, you can move files to and from any Mac (and most Windows systems) without any special device to read them.

For longer term storage, I use a firewire external drive, but in fact, all my working files are on two desktop Macs and a PowerBook so if I had a crash, I'm well protected.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Have iPod, Will Transfer.

5, 10 and 20 GB of storage. Great for back and forth situations.

Alas, not sure if it is a sensible solution for cross-platform though. Kinda doubt it.

:cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I use email and an external firewire HD to transfer files from computer. I archive pictures and files on CD-Rs or CD-RWs. I backup data on a second HD.

I'm tempted to buy one of those USB keychains (or wait till I get a free one). There's even a USB storage system on a watch now - http://www.allieddata.com/asp/index_ie.html

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I use my 5GB iPod and CD back-ups.

Gotta have my Pod! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I use alot of CD's but also use a 20GB Notebook 2.5" Hard drive installed in a Macally firewire case.
Makes for a quick transfer between computers.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, it seems that firewire HD's are winning as the storage/transfer option.
Does anyone have any experience with those keychain HD's mentioned by Fox?
Keep those solutions coming.
Robert

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Naturally it does depend on what others can use, but when you can get a CF reader and a 128MB card for around $120 it doesn't make sense to invest a similar amount in a floppy or zip drive.

My totally unscientific guess is that more people have flash readers than zip drives, and CF drives are cross-compatible (they are actually PC formatted).

In the past I've used floppies, and 100MB (94MB formatted) Zip drives. Anything around a Zips's size is fine for document backup, which typically aren't that large.

These days I use CD-RW and DVD-RW, and CD-R for archiving (bigger files like applications, graphics, etc).

CD-RW is also a great method to share X-platform, but RW drives where the data changes (is replaced) is a relatively slow solution, due to the reformatting required (full format, not "Toast" reformats).

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I just got an email yesterday about USB pen (mini) drives that are now up to 1 GB in size. Now we have something to talk about here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use my iPod and iDisk mostly. However I also use some recording and music equipment that requires me to dabble with 100mb ZIPs and the occassional floppy (the sole reason for keeping the old PC around).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts