Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well being a rally fan, since like age 10, i was always dissapointed at how there was never a legit rally game on the mac....

well, my prayers are starting to get answered:

OSX RALLY SHIFT GAME

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Wow! Good looking game... definitely downloading to see how well it works.

Minimum System Requirements

• MacOS X 10.2.8 and up
• 400 Mhz G4 or 600 MHz G3
• 8 Mb VRAM, 256 Mb RAM
• ATI Rage 128

Recommended System Requirements

• MacOS X 10.2.8 and up
• 800 Mhz G4 or better
• 32 Mb VRAM, 512 Mb RAM
• ATI Radeon 8500/GeForce graphics card or better
My iMac just makes it! :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
from looking at the screen picts the game doesn't exactly impress me, the Subaru doesn't even look like it's been drawn properly and the Focus in the background on a couple of those shots doesn't look much better.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
True, Dark Knight, but in this case, the game isn't about graphics. Every other racing game out there beats this game in graphics big time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll have to grab it later myself, am on dialup here this morning, but, i am happy to see a somewhat proper rally game for mac!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just been to used to playing racing games on my Nintendo GC and PS2 for too long, I hold GT3 in very high regard and can't wait to get my hands on GT4 and also waiting for 5 to come out also the Need for Speed series for PC's is also pretty high on my list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hehe so it is thanx, I allways liked it I just never could remember where it came from I tought it was either Matrix or Star Wars, I haven't watched either in a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I am easily impressed.

So I can say that I am impressed, beats the F1 and Nascar stuff.
$25USD is not bad for the full version...

Thanks for the link Eidetic. :D

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I know personally the developer would greatly appreciate any and all who like the game enough to purchase it — it's his bread and butter and would encourage him on the next venture. He's a one-man army with a handful of volunteers to help him develop his games.

There's going to be new tracks and other stuff (free upgrades) soon. So keep an eye out.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Alrighty - benchmarks for the people with older and slower Macs. ;)

Test Machine: 400 MHz G3 (512k L2 - 100 MHz FSB) - 768 MB SDRAM - ATI Rage 128 Pro w/8 MB VRAM (2X-AGP; 133 MHz) ::running Mac OS X v10.3.2::

Shift Rally Settings and Frames-Per-Second

640x480 @ 16/32-bit | Texture Detail: Medium | Particles: Low (1)
FPS: 45-fps +

800x600 @ 16/32-bit | Texture Detail: Medium | Particles: Low (1)
FPS: 35-40-fps +

1024x768 @ 16-bit** |Texture Detail: Medium | Particles: Low (1)
FPS: 35-40-fps +

**I was unable to test 1024x768 @ 32-bit because my video card lacked the required VRAM amount.

Tip: Don't put your texture detail to high. From what I've tested, the game only got pretty choppy in all aspects when the texture detail was set to high - even when all other graphics were already maxed out at 1024x768 resolution.

The difference in FPS between 16-bit and 32-bit color was unnoticable in the first two resolutions, meaning there's no real reason to run it in 16-bit color.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok, I tested this game and tell you what.... I LIKED IT.... :D

I liked the names that they chose for the cars... No matter what, anyone can tell that the "Rally Futura" is the Ford Focus... ;) It is even in the team colours...

Anywho... on with the benchmarking...

I have a B&W upgraded to a G4/500Mhz, 1gig RAM and an original ATI Radeon PCI card.

At 1280x1024 16bit
Texture Detail: High
Dust and Smoke: High
Reflection Map: Selected
Object Visibility Distance: 10

I get frame rates of 37fps to 45fps

Now this is only during Test Drive with me as the only car on the track

Now in Singe Race mode with 2 other cars on the track these frame rates drop to 20fps to 26fps

Not bad, I think I'll get it... :cool:

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Rally Shift is a pretty good game and it runs fantastically on my wife's 1GHz eMac with full details, particles, and view distance of 10 with a resolution of 1024x768. It runs reasonably well on my 700 iBook as long as I'm not racing with opponents (i.e., as long as I stay in Rally Mode) when I have full details and particles at 800x600. I can run it with opponents as long as I turn off the particles.

James

[ February 21, 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: james_squared ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts