Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My daughter recently had her iPod Touch stolen (after less than a month of having owned it) and we hadn't put any protective or tracing apps on it yet. I registered it with Apple (but think I may have done so twice, by accident). How do I go about finding out if it is actually registered?

I still have the box with the serial number on it, have reported it to the police, and have no misconceptions about the chances of getting it back... but was looking for any possible ideas about what I CAN do before I give up on finding it. We have our suspicions about who may have taken it, but have no way of proving it.... yet. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops... I figured out my problem

Thanks for the reply. I realized after you sent me that link, that I had been putting in the wrong serial number and it kept coming up as invalid.
It is definitely registered, but that doesn't do me much good, I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hate to be blunt, but forget about it, it's gone. Your SN, and whether you registerd or not will make absolutely no difference in your chances of finding it.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Apple will not keep a list of stolen items and wait for them to come in for service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know.

Hate to be blunt, but forget about it, it's gone. Your SN, and whether you registerd or not will make absolutely no difference in your chances of finding it.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Apple will not keep a list of stolen items and wait for them to come in for service.
Yes... I know it's gone. I just wanted to be sure that I had registered it. I can always hope that someone will try to pawn it or something. I've reported it to the police, but whether they get notified by the pawn shops would be the next question. It's too bad that such an easily stolen item doesn't have some sort of built in "theft protection" when you first get it. We were just learning about it, and didn't know that you could put trackable apps on it. I'm sad for my daughter, but maybe we'll know something better for next time... IF there's a next time.

There's gotta be some effective way of stopping thieves! Just need someone to mass produce that solution so we can all benefit!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL... yeah.

Good one, but it would be better to have something that DOESN'T allow them to get off the hook, though!
I like to see people actually learn from their stupidity! LOL

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Yeah, I can't see killing or maiming someone over an iPod Touch, but thanks for the anger-issues vigilante option, cowboy.

(later edit: the above statement is meant light-heartedly, as [I assume] rgray's post was. Upon re-reading it just now, I realise it doesn't really come across that way. Sorry.)

On a more constructive note, several companies offer software. One I've heard of (but don't have any personal experience with) is Undercover.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
Hi there,

My daughter recently had her iPod Touch stolen (after less than a month of having owned it) and we hadn't put any protective or tracing apps on it yet. ...

I still have the box with the serial number on it, have reported it to the police, and have no misconceptions about the chances of getting it back... but was looking for any possible ideas about what I CAN do before I give up on finding it. We have our suspicions about who may have taken it, but have no way of proving it.... yet. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Along with help of your local police, I'd focus on your last statement - " We have our suspicions about who may have taken it,..."

To see and read it's serial number which you have, there are various methods shown at:
iPod: How to find the serial number

1 - 10 of 10 Posts