·
Registered
189 Posts
I sent you a private message.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fyi i have two firm offers at $450, set to do the deal friday morning. I dont suspect anyone will go higher than that.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
If you're running an auction, say so up front. Offering a computer at $400 on EhMac means that the first person offering $400 should get it.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
If you're running an auction, say so up front. Offering a computer at $400 on EhMac means that the first person offering $400 should get it.
This isn't upfront enough?

I'll consider all offers and let the market decide.

$400 OBO. Feel free to make an offer

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
I think OBO implies an auction style sale...
No, It means you will accept the asking price, but if you don't get it, you will consider the best offer among lower bids.

From one of many sites specifying the meaning:

"Or Best Offer" options ("obo") may not be used to sell an item at a price higher than originally asked for. E.g., $50 "obo" means that you may accept less than $50, but you will sell the item to the first person to offer $50. Lower offers may be refused at the discretion of the seller.

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
No, It means you will accept the asking price, but if you don't get it, you will consider the best offer among lower bids.

From one of many sites specifying the meaning:
I guess i'm wrong then. I guess I should look it up first before making a locigal conclusion... Logically best offer implies that there is no cap or limit making the highest offer the best offer... But like I said, I was wrong. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess i'm wrong then. I guess I should look it up first before making a locigal conclusion... Logically best offer implies that there is no cap or limit making the highest offer the best offer... But like I said, I was wrong. Sorry about that.
You are wrong. The seller didn't say "Best offer", he said "$400 or best offer". There's a world of difference there.

Logically, it's one or the other. Think about it in programming terms.

I thought auctions weren't allowed here.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
macfury, at least your name is accurate.

Really i post on ehmac as a courtesy since i have had many repeat buyers from here over the years. Some great people ive even been able to meet in person in Calgary and Toronto.

This place used to be a vibrant market place but it seems to have died down over the last couple of years, perhaps everyone has fled to where i go too, Kijiji. Much larger market, all local, postings aren't nit-picked and price-policed (despite policies). Price and sell how you want. I have consistently received higher prices for my mac products through kijiji than ehMac, also i have been able to find better bargains without having to worry about shipping and wiring money. its amazing what a discount you can get for an offer of cash immediate sale.

btw mini went for $450, 50$ more than the posted price and i guess a number I'm not "allowed" to get on ehMac. Also marks my last post on this site, not really worth the trouble anymore.

pbelanger: "think of it in programming terms" hilarious. you must be the life of the parties you dont get invited to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No one on ehmac got up to a $400 offer before i had two firm $450 offers from kijiji. Go suck an egg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gotta love the people who feel the need to flame perfect strangers on a message board. Whatever helps you get up and out of bed in the morning my friend.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
macfury, at least your name is accurate.

Really i post on ehmac as a courtesy since i have had many repeat buyers from here over the years.
Clearly you were courteous enough to let EhMacers know that their $400 bid was no longer welcome unless they met the price of your Kijiji auction. In the future, make sure you let us know that you are running an auction on another site but merely posting a lower price here as a "courtesy."

saxamaphone said:
fyi i have two firm offers at $450, set to do the deal friday morning. I dont suspect anyone will go higher than that.
"Do I hear$455, EhMac?"

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sigh

Clearly you were courteous enough to let EhMacers know that their $400 bid was no longer welcome unless they met the price of your Kijiji auction. In the future, make sure you let us know that you are running an auction on another site but merely posting a lower price here as a "courtesy."

"Do I hear$455, EhMac?"
no ehmac'er reached $400. ever. end of story.

please refer to egg in previous post.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Why would they offer $400, if you told them you were already getting $450?
Why do you feel the need to harass saxamphone? Did you make him an offer and then have him reject it because he had a higher offer? If yes, and you really wanted it, counter offer. If no, then I think you should leave the guy alone. We have had price police here before and it was one of the reasons why the Classifieds were changed.

This isn't real a estate contract we are talking about... If he was offered more he should take it plain and simple. Give it a rest all ready.

·
Premium Member
42,470 Posts
Thanks for the bump screature. I'm not the price police, I'm the policy police. EhMac classifieds are not auctions. Offers must stand as worded.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
It isn't an auction. Samaphone received higher offers from other sources and was just letting ehMacer's know as a courtesy that he had and if they were still interested they would have to offer more than those offers. He had no obligation to even do that. It his Mini, he has the right to get the most for it he can.

Did you let the Mayor/mods know of your issues? Did he/they do anything? I would suspect not. It isn't up to you to police the classifieds without letting the "powers that be" know. If you have a problem with what saxamaphone did let those in charge know and leave it that, otherwise you are just being a vigilante.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts