Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted some tweets on the ehMac Twitter's account this morning. (If you haven't done so yet, be sure to follow! :) )

I read a good article this morning about Apple and the current recession. Near the end of the article, there was a great point..."To me, it seems that Microsoft still isn't in the game of producing the best damn product out there."

Got me really thinking about product design and purchasing products and kind of an ironic twist. Funny story actually...

I recently made, what I consider a fairly "big ticket item" purchase, which was a new High Energy efficient washing machine and dryer to replace are really aging washer and dryer. The old washing machine made our towels stink, no matter what we tried to do to remedy the situation. Combined with the fact that Betty Flintstone was probably the last person to use this washer, it was time to get a new one.

I had Tweeted several weeks back that I was shopping for a new washer and it was Tweeted back that I should get a Miele washing machine, that they were a beautiful product (I made this Tweet and got a response while at the appliance store). I saw that they had Miele washing machines there, they looked quite nice but Holy $#!!.... they were about $3000 Cdn for just the washer. Other washer and dryer combos were going for $1700 for the pair! (The Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer that Mrs. ehMax had seen on Kate + 8. :eek: )

Very curious about this, I used the Google iPhone app, held it to my ear and said something like "Washing Machine Review Miele" or something like that. In a moment of pure delight, that I will never forget, the 3rd link that Google had given me was a thread on ehMac.ca! :eek::eek: Here's the thread:
Steve Jobs buys a washing machine"

The thread references this article on Wired Magazine.

A little excerpt:

Steve went on, "It takes a passionate commitment to really thoroughly understand something.... Most people don't take the time to do that." He then proceeded to tell a story that both sheds light on his private life and gives some insight into the decision-making process that often turns life into a hell for people who work with him. Making the point that design isn't just an issue for "fancy new gadgets," he described how his whole family became involved in, of all things, the selection of a new washing machine and dryer. This is a little hard to picture: The billionaire Jobs family didn't have very good machines. Selecting new ones became a project for the whole family. The big decision came down to whether to purchase a European machine or an American-made one. The European machine, according to Steve, does a much better job, uses about one-quarter as much water, and treats the clothes more gently so that they last longer. But the American machines take about half as long to wash the clothes.

"We spent some time in our family talking about what's the trade-off we want to make. We spent about two weeks talking about this. Every night at the dinner table" -- imagine dinner-table conversation about washing machines every night! -- "we'd get around to that old washer-dryer discussion. And the talk was about design." In the end, they opted for European machines, which Steve described as "too expensive, but that's just because nobody buys them in this country."
(That expensive washing machine was a Miele, the American ones he is talking about are Whirlpool / Maytag)

So anyways, fast forward to our washing machine purchase. Which one did I go with? While I don't have the same disposable income as Steve Jobs, I probably could get away with purchasing a $3000 washing machine. You're also talking about a person who owns several Steve Jobs T-Shirts and has a Steve Jobs doll.... er... Action Figure. I really take this guy and what he has to say seriously.

Well, I'd really like to have a different ending to this story, but in the end the picture below says a thousand words. (If you can't see the image, be sure to login or register.

PS... On our first wash, the clothes were cleaned really quickly, our towels didn't smell, Mrs. ehMax was delighted, but the towels did feel a little rough to the touch. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
The difference in water consumption between European and US machines is largely due to the European preference for front-loaders, which use much less water than top loaders. Also, the smaller domestic footprint of Europeans probably means they have smaller machines to begin with.

We've had a modest Kenmore front-load machine for five years. It cleans very well and the spin cycle works almost as well as an extractor, getting the clothing much dryer so we use less natural gas with our dryer. So I'll give Steve Jobs his Miele. But I'll trust Consumer Reports when they recommend a Kenmore. And really, it's a washing machine...could the user interface be any easier? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Hmmm, wonder what vacuum he has..... we have a Miele, fairly expensive but it does suck.....

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Aha one of my favourite topics!

Front loaders do was better and don't destroy your clothes, the cycle does take longer though

If you can't afford Miele (which are designed for 20 years of operation), the next best thing is Bosch/Siemens: much cheaper and 2/3 of the life expectancy

I have had 2 Miele vacuum cleaners in the last 20 years - both a joy to use and pretty well engineered too

The only appliance made consistently well by Americans is the fridge; although you could argue that the Koreans are really breathing down their neck...

·
Premium Member
17,745 Posts
We are still delighted with the GE we bought several years ago. Somewhat smaller than yours it still handles good sized loads and the dryer can be stacked on top. Big thing with front loaders is to use liquid detergent and less of it. Half of what you are used to is just a starting point. Often you can cut back by another 30%. This reduced detergent usage is what really makes the front end loaders environmental winners.

Use cold rinse cycles. Big loads of jeans may benefit from an extra run through the rinse cycles.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Coming soon: Washer dryers with a Windows UI
That would be brutal. It would take five minutes for the machine to start up, the icon for the cycle you would want would be off the screen, and half way through, it would just go BSOD on the clothes. It would take four or five reboots to actually finish the cycle, and performance would slide downhill within the first two months. Oh, and you wouldn't be able to wash clothes between 7-9pm because it will be scanning for spybots and viruses. You'd have to "upgrade" every year to gain 800 more features you would never use, and would need to have "service packs" because they forgot that Spin should come after Rinse...

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
It'll be a cold day in hell before Whirlpool ever sees another penny from me. Product design means nothing if the company can't provide decent customer service.

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
Speaking of washers and European machines, does anyone have anything to say about Aristan? I fou d a great deal on one of the compact machines. I do worry about getting the machine serviced in the future after warranty is gone will it be hard to get it fixed being a brand that is primarily sold overseas???

Anyone have any experience with this brand Aristan?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
......the fact that Betty Flintstone was probably the last person to use this washer, it was time to get a new one.
Betty Flintstone? Fred's wife is Wilma - Betty is Barney Rubble's spouse. Prehistoric hanky-panky?:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts

Betty Flintstone? Fred's wife is Wilma - Betty is Barney Rubble's spouse. Prehistoric hanky-panky?:eek:
Freudian slip. No doubt involving Cary Granite.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Speaking of washers and European machines, does anyone have anything to say about Aristan? I fou d a great deal on one of the compact machines. I do worry about getting the machine serviced in the future after warranty is gone will it be hard to get it fixed being a brand that is primarily sold overseas???

Anyone have any experience with this brand Aristan?
Thanks
Ariston was a mainstream brand, cheap and OK. The business has split and Ariston is now mainly making boilers, heaters, etc. The Ariston brand has been folded into Hotpoint (same positioning) part of the Merloni group (Italy). The European market is controlled by half-a dozen brands:

- Miele (the Rolls Royce, Germany)
- Bosch/Siemens/Neff (Germany)
- Hotpoint/Indesit/Merloni (Italy)
- Electrolux/AEG/Frigidaire/Zanussi/Arthur Martin... (Sweden)
- Philips/Whirlpool (the latter bought the former's European business)

Personally the only brands I would buy in North America from this list are the Germans, possibly Electrolux and the European designed front loaders by Whirlpool.

My 2¢...

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,059 Posts
So, I'm wondering how a Windows virus might affect one of their washing machines? Perhaps it would create stains in your skivvies?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Ariston was a mainstream brand, cheap and OK. The business has split and Ariston is now mainly making boilers, heaters, etc. The Ariston brand has been folded into Hotpoint (same positioning) part of the Merloni group (Italy). The European market is controlled by half-a dozen brands:

- Miele (the Rolls Royce, Germany)
- Bosch/Siemens/Neff (Germany)
- Hotpoint/Indesit/Merloni (Italy)
- Electrolux/AEG/Frigidaire/Zanussi/Arthur Martin... (Sweden)
- Philips/Whirlpool (the latter bought the former's European business)

Personally the only brands I would buy in North America from this list are the Germans, possibly Electrolux and the European designed front loaders by Whirlpool.

My 2¢...
Miele is the best we have owned so far, Customer service to match..
We had bosch in the past.. it is the basic entry level - for euro brands, we had problems with them... since they are made in the US now, we no longer even consider it Euro...

Best Money spent is the Miele.. will never look back... premium product but worth the money...

Have the vacuum as well. - 6 years later it still sucks.. ;)
not to mention it has only broken down once.. the retractable cord $75 repair...
not bad for ownership to date.. the only reason it broke was i have a Polish cleaning lady, she is a bull in a china shop.. told her millions of times, not to stretch the cord to the max...
:)

as for the other appliances - Dish washer, dryer, wash machine.. all Miele... we run it 3 times a day... our cost to operate is very very low, believe it or not, our electric bill for our house per month is $75 bucks and our water bill is $65 per month..
surprising eh!... but in the summer months it jumps to $140 per month for electricity
because of A/C - central...

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
...not to mention it has only broken down once.. the retractable cord $75 repair...
The retractable cord on mine broke as well (after about four years of service, with the machine well out of warranty) and my local Miele dealer / service shop put in a new bobbin / winder assembly at no charge. :clap:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I take it you had a bad experience?
Very bad.

They refused to honor our (four year old) dishwasher's warranty. Their "trusted" technician refused to look at the dishwasher initially. After the third request to get someone to look at the machine, the delinquent technician broke a piece of the console and then accused us of tampering.

The particular model had a history of problems--a nationwide recall that cost them approx. $10 million to fix--the circuit board in the console would burn out because of a design flaw with how the steam is jettisoned. The very flaw we were accused of causing by way of tampering.

(Oh yeah, did I mention that it was reported that five households caught on fire because of said design flaw?)

And to top it all off, the executive at head office of Whirlpool was a complete youknowwhat and she absolutely refused to listen to us.

It wasn't until we reported them to the Better Business Bureau that she considered listening to us--in the end we had to pay for a new washer with miniscule compensation in the form of an employee discount for our troubles.

Never again Whirlpool. XX)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Have the vacuum as well. - 6 years later it still sucks.. ;)
not to mention it has only broken down once.. the retractable cord $75 repair...
not bad for ownership to date.. the only reason it broke was i have a Polish cleaning lady, she is a bull in a china shop.. told her millions of times, not to stretch the cord to the max...
Interesting, I forgot to mention I had to fix our Miele vacuum a couple of years ago. It was the cord as well, there are contacts built into the round mechanism that coils up the cord when you hit the retract button. Over time the mechanism wears out and the contacts don't work properly. If I recall I installed some spacers on the axle to tighten up the contacts and it has been fine since. Also recall the grease they used gunked up and was cleaned off and replaced. Works like a charm now after 11 years.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts