·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
A great read

Considering that most two-paragraph articles like this one have some people wanting to correct everything but a couple of words, it's amazing that in a 1000 words the author can get so much right--not everything, but nearly so.

Still, whether the author or the journal thought of the title, somebody is either being very cutting or entirely oblivious. One of the most popular--by far--downloads and YouTube views in recent memory is the Timberlake/Samberg "Dick in a Box" 'video' from SNL. So calling this article "Steve Jobs in a Box," well...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know why, but I personally loathe Google. I love the search engine, but I try to stay away from other Google offerings.

Google is just too big, everything it does is free, and it does everything. That just doesn't sit right with me.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I thought the article was good and my feeling is that it fleshed out what I have always sensed in Jobs as a kind of dark, driven perfectionism. Of course my sense is based on what I see and read between the lines in the media, so it may be completely off-based. Maybe he's really a laid-back happy guy.

I hope that if he decides to retire soon, as the article hints at, he takes that massive charisma and vision and does something more important to humanity than producing really great consumer products. I actually admire Gates philanthropy, but I think Jobs could be better at it - because he's got "taste". ;)

His commencement address at Stanford a while ago shows that he knows that there is more to life than good computers:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
A really good article all the way around (Long, but good).[/url]
I agree with the long part. As for good, I thought it was a whole lot less than good with name-calling and idle speculation wrapped up in longwinded package.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts