Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a JVC stereo out of the back of my old PowerMac 7500 (it has RCA jacks in the back) and the sound quality is better than a top end Altec Lansing sound system (621) running through my G3. Is it possible with some type of jack system to have one's stereo running out of a G3 ?(which doesn't have RCA jacks out the back) And for that matter out of more current mac systems. (I'm thinking about a G5 in the near future)

Any experience out there that can be brought to bear on my probably naive question would be most appreciated.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Go to Radioshack and get a stereo mini-plug to RCA jacks converter/cable... it can be used with the audio out port. Ever Mac user should have one... I do.

The G5 also has an optical audio out port... you can connect this to the optical audio in on receivers with an optical audio in port.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks. I had forgotten what a good little stereo system this JVC FS 7000 was with the wood shelf size speakers. In the mid range the tonal quality of this system is miles better than the Altec Lansing 621 speaker system which is purportedly the best in the computer designed speaker system world. Anybody have an interest in the Altec Lansing speakers send me a PM

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a new Ehmac member and was just reading some posts. Noticed yours re: Mac and stereo and was just wondering if it is possible to connect my imac to a stereo system so that I can take advantage of the larger speakers and increased power from the amp? Appreciate any response.

thanks,

Frank

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It is possible to run a 1/8" headphone to Audio cable from your computer to the stereo. It works quite well too. Although if your Mac comes with a line out, (The G5s have an optical line out) it works much better then the normal headphone "port".

You should be able to pick up a 1/8" headphone to RCA Audio adapter at your local Radio Shack.

·
Registered
867 Posts
generally run a mini-cable to aux-in on amp & into good speakers (cause internal sound cut-out from headphone jack crapped out a while ago)all the time, when needed for really good sound, I run from audio out to amp - this is on an iMac G3. Either solution is easy & works well - always get amazingly good sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts