Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm watching "Revenge of the Sith" and apart from the special effects the film really was poorly written. For example at the very end when the Jimmy Smits character says; "Oh, and have the protocol droid's mind wiped," seemed so very much like Lucas tried to tie up all the loose ends without thinking.

Another example when Padame is giving birth and the medical droid reports; "she's dying, we don't know why. She's lost the will to live."
A mother losing her will to live upon the birth of her children? Post partum depression sets in that early? And with faster than light travel they can't diagnose her?

Anyway, I did some googling and got this snippet from Lucas re: Spidey 3;
Lucas joins what seems to be most of the commenters on this site in not being much of a fan of Spidey's third outing. Says Lucas, "It's silly. It's a silly movie. There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?" Oh, George! "People thought Star Wars was silly, too," says Lucas. "But it wasn't." So there's nothing silly about any of the Star Wars films, Beardy?
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/05/09/george-lucas-talks-new-star-wars-films-slams-spider-man-3/

i don't understand why Lucas decided to make the prequel to the end of the story? i.e first he tells the story of good winning over evil, then tell the story of how evil beat out good?

I had read somewhere a long time ago (in a galaxy not so far away) that the Star Wars story is actually 9 chapters with 3 more after "Return of the Jedi"
I hope there is 3 more. The way Lucas set these 6 movies up seems just plain silly.

I also hope, if and when they make more movies, that they hire better writers and thank god we won't have to see that bad actor playing Darth Vader nee Skywalker. Just what was Lucas thinking about when he cast him?

comments?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
i don't understand why Lucas decided to make the prequel to the end of the story? i.e first he tells the story of good winning over evil, then tell the story of how evil beat out good?

Im not really sure what you mean by this? The prequel movies(episode 1,2 and 3) set up what happens in the original trilogy (episode 4,5 and 6).

Maybe I read your question wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I had read somewhere a long time ago (in a galaxy not so far away) that the Star Wars story is actually 9 chapters with 3 more after "Return of the Jedi". I hope there is 3 more.
Lucas has sketched out all 9 movies but has said the last 3 won't be filmed. He's tired of doing them and won't let anyone else do them.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucas has sketched out all 9 movies but has said the last 3 won't be filmed. He's tired of doing them and won't let anyone else do them.
i don't know if he's tired or the fans are tired as mentioned here
http://www.makeyougohmm.com/20040825/968/

Lucas said that the original idea was a 9-part series, but after the backlash from going back to part 1, 2 and 3 I’m thinking he should put a bullet in it. But … the Guardian is reporting otherwise:
i'd like to see the last 3 if only to be left with a memory of Star Wars without There's more to me than Darth Vader: Christensen

that's got to be the quote of the series....
:D

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
From what I recall, Lucas had the general outlines of 9 movies in mind--I actually have an old OLD Starlog issue that quotes Lucas on it somewhere in storage; why he denies it today is beyond me*. That said... I believe, and it's hard to verify, that Episode 4: A New Hope (the original Star Wars movie) was made because he considered it the easiest... probably not just to make, but to get financial backing by studios.

The original cut of Star Wars was just that--just called Star Wars. Lucas et al had no idea how popular it would come to be and rushed to send out revised reels with the edited opening crawl to include "Episode 4-A New Hope".

Lucas knows his strong point isn't writing, and he does bring help as far as writing the script goes: Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan helped with Empire Strikes Back; Kasdan helped with Return of the Jedi; Jonathan Hales helped with Attack of the Clones. That said, he's always stated that Star Wars was a popcorn movie... I guess that precludes refining cheesy dialogue or awkward plotlines, but whatever.

I think he's still miffed that the best Star Wars movie to this day was co-written by two other people, and directed by another person.

* Apparently Lucas is developing a TV show version of Star Wars that's rumored to be in 3-D CGI with all new characters and such... so much for being tired of it. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
What the Point - Mel Brooks gave the real reason for the Star Wars series Merchandising

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
More like he knows that he's a crappy filmmaker, and doesn't want to be embarrassed by making anymore films. He won't anyone else do them because they would easily put Epsiode 1-3 to shame.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Break it down, at least IMHO, the three worst were ANH, TPM and RotS all of which had only one credited writer and director...George Lucas.

The two best, again IMHO, were ESB and RotJ which both had a credited writer (2 for ESB) besides Lucas and neither was directed by Lucas.

AOTC was ok, it had a second credited writer with Lucas directing.

IMHO, George Lucas has a wonderful imagination and started a groundbreaking special effects company, but he is a terrible writer and director and when he does both it gets ugly.

Personally, I'm glad he did it despite the mixed results as I really enjoy the EU novels.

My understanding is that there are several Star Wars tv shows in production...hopefully of better quality than the Holiday Special.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
He needs to hire Ridley Scott to re-edit the entire set with the exception of the first Star Wars.

The campy dialogue between Solo and Leia was never recaptured. He got way too serious in the rest and then would face plant trying to inject humour.

A comparison to V for Vendetta leaves Lucas on the losing end big time.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
What the Point - Mel Brooks gave the real reason for the Star Wars series Merchandising
It should be noted that merchandising was relatively non-existant when Star Wars first came out. When Lucas negotiated contracts prior to the filming of Episode 4, they let him have all merchandizing and licensing rights.

Today, it's a whole different ball-game because of him.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Watch the original 1977 release of Star Wars and compare it to the latest DVD release. Lucas has gone back in and changed major elements of the plot - for example, in the original Han Solo shoots Greedo (the alien bounty hunter) without provocation. In the new versions, Greedo shoots first. Lucas totally changed Solo's character. That's why I think the man is a hack - many of his greatest fans still loathe him for these sorts of changes.

For a long time he even refused to ever release the films in their original form, though I understand there was a "limited release" of the series that included the original films as well as the "super duper special edition" ones.

Lucas is also supposed to be working on Star Wars 3D, so he's not sick of it. Methinks he just realized he isn't a very good filmmaker and gave up. And good call.

For anyone who wants to know how the next three movies "should" go, the Thrawn Trilogy novels by Timothy Zahn are widely regarded as the "unofficial" sequel trilogy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The prequels are so lifeless that I actually found them very, very boring. There is something missing about them. They pretty much ruin the original trilogy, especially if you watch it in order of I, II, II, etc.

There simply is no comparison to the originals. George should have directed some unrelated movies leading up to the prequels, because he is definitely rusty as a director and screenwriter.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
seemed so very much like Lucas tried to tie up all the loose ends without thinking.
The movies were littered with this forced justification of the "future" episodes. One of the many 'blech' things about the new trio. Lucas directing was also a mistake. For all the enjoyability of Star Wars, I found Empire and Return to have a much better style...and Lucas did not direct them.

The final three parts of the series are, I think, the Zahn books.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
The final three parts of the series are, I think, the Zahn books.
As fine as Timothy Zhan was at creating those books they were not episodes 7, 8, 9, the story that I have heard is that there were supposed to be 9 episodes but in his haste to release the original trilogy George condensed the last 6 episodes into 3 episodes. I always thought that Episodes I-II-III were made to actually show off ILM's prowess with there computers at creating new worlds and creatures that were out of this world.

Laterz :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts