Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,

I have search the web for some help on several issues I've been having with my new 13" Macbook that I purchases in April. My Mac is nicely tricked out with everything I could afford at the time - 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, etc... all the great stuff one could need. As well, this is my first Mac. I was a PC person before and had read about the amazing stability of Mac's OS - so I decided to make the switch. At this point I am frustrated and disappointed. Here are my issues:

Cracks - I have cracks running the full length of my vent - from point where the monitor/top connects down and around the vent area - the appeared about a month after owning it.

Discolouration - palm rest, and now some strange black lines are forming on the top. They have the appearance of stains but I keep my Macbook a great case.

Stalling - My Macbook stalls - without warning - with lots of application open - with no applications open - hot - cold - nothing seems to indicate why. I get the pinwheel so much I am beginning to see it in my sleep.

Crash - About two weeks ago my Macbook crashed. When I say crashed I mean it wouldn't start - I got the blue screen (or in Mac case the gray screen). I lost lots of data - emails, photos, music, documents - but oddly not everything. The stalling started before this - and the stalling continues after.

In all I loved my mac. It was wonderful - so fast and nice looking - I got so many compliments in the office. Now, I am not so sure. This was the first computer I've ever purchased on my own - since most of the time the companies I consult for supply me one.

I fear a HD crash is coming but I don't know what to do. I live overseas in a place where Apple has no service center - sending it home to Canada would be costly and at this point I have repaired it with DiskWarrior and still there is stalling. At this point I want Apple to replace my Macbook (I mean these things come off a line in china there is bound to be a lemon in the bunch) cause I don't think that I could be without my computer for a month while it is repaired.

What do I do??? I need help!!!

thanks in advance

B

·
Registered
25 Posts
What do you do? You get it fixed.

Sure, shipping might be costly and it'll be a pain to go without a computer for a month but if you don't get it fixed and it finally dies on you... how much of a pain would that be?

Just pony up and send the thing back to Apple. I don't think you really have any other choice - unless owning a stained, cracked, dead computer is an option.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I agree. First, contact Apple and give them a full run down on all the problems. It's still within warranty, so you are covered. You will probably be without it for a while, but if you can have it replaced it should not be as long as a month.

Is there anyone in Canada you could send it to who could take it in to an Apple store, or reputable reseller?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bpye, please post some pictures of your MacBook. I'd like to see for certain that you bought a computer that has every conceivable issue wrong with it that can possibly be found on the interweb.
Love the insinuation that I might be lying but to prove you wrong I will post some photos shortly.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Love the insinuation that I might be lying but to prove you wrong I will post some photos shortly.
I feel the love.

Keep in mind that from time to time, anonymous people post untruths on the internet; hard to believe, I know. It's best to be skeptical.

There may in fact be an Apple Authorized Repair Service nearer to you than you might think. Calling Apple would help. It might also take much less effort than posting here, posting pictures, and living with scores of defects and potential 4-digit financial loss.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know this isn't the best place to post this, but you may find some hardware related issues that are like yours

MacBook - Appledefects

I found this when looking for other people who had their cases screwed on too tight it caused loose cases. Apple will probably be understanding if it's a known, but not resolved issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos for my issues

Hey guys - here are the photos as promised - they are a little hard to see - my camera is not that great and Macbooks are hard to photograph.

Handrests - this one is hard to see - if you were here in person you could see that they are beginning to go yellow - Apple will replace these - at least that is what they say.

Cracks - Not sure about this one - Apple said they will replace but strange place for cracks to form, no?

Pinwheel - This is my constant partner - I am in the process of an archive and reinstall - we will see how that works.

Discolouration of the top case - this is was nearly impossible to photograph but you can see it clearly in person. Looks like something is heating it up inside?

Spoke with apple yesterday and we will see about a resolution. I am hopeful but remain skeptical

Thanks

Attachments

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
bpye, please post some pictures of your MacBook. I'd like to see for certain that you bought a computer that has every conceivable issue wrong with it that can possibly be found on the interweb.
And why would this not be possible? Speaking of unhelpful posts...

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
And why would this not be possible? Speaking of unhelpful posts...
And that was useful, Lars. Feel free to refrain from posting any skepticism yourself, otherwise you will of course appear to be slightly hypocritical.

I do think that calling Apple or an authorized dealer first would have been the way to go, especially for each problem as it arose. Apple may treat these as separate problems, or just one major instance lumping them together. If these were noted on successive occasions, in my experience, Apple is more likely to have a more complete solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts