Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HNY.

Haven't posted out here in some time, but I've not had to buy a HD in yrs - and I'm only looking now to accommodate this _old laptop w/ a new HD_. I just saw a 1GB SSD for $145 CAD. LOL. I couldn't stop laughing, and just wondered when the prices hit the floor like that.

I have a a Crucial MX500 which I'm looking to replace only for space reasons. Anyone have experience w/ the WD Blue SSDs? I'm not looking for any kind of mind blowing performance, it's really there just to store music and going into an older MacBook (08?)

thx!

H!

·
Premium Member
17,759 Posts
Would not matter how fast the SSD you buy is, performance will be limited by the speed of the SATA connection. Can't recall if 2008 was SATA 1 or SATA 2. For sure it is not SATA 3.

WD should support TRIM. Your only other concern is thickness. I believe anything up to 9mm should be OK, but will let those more knowledgeable chime in on that.

·
Premium Member
15,589 Posts
Would not matter how fast the SSD you buy is, performance will be limited by the speed of the SATA connection. Can't recall if 2008 was SATA 1 or SATA 2. For sure it is not SATA 3.

eMacMan already beat me to it, but I would just consider the 3 Gb/s drives to help with the backward speed compatibility that MB will need as it only has a Serial ATA (1.5 Gb/s) bus:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...duo-2.4-white-13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

I got a good deal on a Crucial M500 Series 240GB SSD for $89.99cdn back in Dec 2014 to replace a OCZ drive that started acting goofy.

I used a SSD to gain some extra battery life rather than speed, but I did end up with that as an added benefit.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx gents. Ya. I recall all the SATA convos from prior in the days - and how important it was the check all the stats, and of course the connection will be the limiting reagent in chemistry speak. Pretty sure this old lap is SATA II. Just need to figure out what OS i'll be capped to now. I think I have the MacBook 5.1, but I'll have to confirm.

Thanks again gents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts