Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I type in a file I'm looking for

'Submission Notes'

All sorts of web options pop up, but not my file. I dig through my folders and I find it. Back to spotlight....nothing.

What gives? Isn't the purpose to find file names?

I double checked spelling, it was exactly the say way.

macOS Big Sur
Mac mini (2018)

·
Premium Member
16,083 Posts
All sorts of web options pop up, but not my file. I dig through my folders and I find it. Back to spotlight....nothing.

What gives? Isn't the purpose to find file names?
This sounds like the days when I used to refer to Spotlight as Stoplight...

Maybe your Spotlight needs to be re indexed, but I will admit from what I've seen, I cannot stand the way the found items are listed and I don't know if they can be modified or not. I'm still using Mavericks 10.9.

In the interim so that you can find some files, I would suggest using Find Any File:

And you might want to add a companion compatible application to that as well: EasyFind:

Then maybe keep an icon of each in your Dock for easy access.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Hey Patrick you are of course spot on with Spotlight alternatives. I disabled that malware back in the days of Tiger and continue to thrive without it.

A bit off topic but I want to thank you for your many reminders about booting into safe mode. I am running a borrowed monitor till the new one arrives. Trying to find the right resolution I accidentally found one that was not supported and wound up with a black screen. A safe mode boot let me adjust the setting and all is well. So thanks.

I am pretty sure this will be one of my last posts, so PM if you want to stay in touch.

·
Premium Member
16,083 Posts
Trying to find the right resolution I accidentally found one that was not supported and wound up with a black screen. A safe mode boot let me adjust the setting and all is well. So thanks.
Been there, done that and had a hell of a time getting out of it, even with a safe boot but finally managed.

Have you tried using SwitchResX???
I believe it has a demo version of available, but just doesn't keep settings automatically after a reboot/restart.

It works well when we had to use it with a third-party monitor.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 4 of 4 Posts