Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just came across this nifty utility, Speed Download 2, and honestly, it is one of the best utilities we have laid our hands on. Its the fastest download manager/software updating utility according to the website. It also offers tons of features such as auto-resuming downloads, scheduling, etc. Well, we decided to try it out and guess what? We definately increased our download speed by approx. 47%. That's ALOT! For those who dont know this apps, you should give it a whirl. It becomes your download manager no matter what browser you are using. You can find it here:
http://www.yazsoft.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
I understand that Speed Download can be used with Safari. But can it be used with other browsers, and specifically with Internet Explorer?

The information would be much appreciated, as I am thinking of getting it, but I do not use Safari.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
According to YazSoft's FAQ, that is a definite yes. No worries there.

I used SD when it first came out, but let it go after reading that using Speed Download speeders is not always the best. (For the server, and allowing other people to connect and download as you take up 6 connections, meaning 5 other people couldn't connect if the server is full of people connecting)

·
Registered
282 Posts
But if your individual download takes a sixth less time to complete, then what's the problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an update on our testing with SD2 on Mac OS X 10.3.2.

SD2 will work with all Mac browsers even if you use them all at the same time. We tested that and it works really great. We had Safari, IE, Firebird, Mozilla, and Camino open at the same time and tried to download a different file with each. They all sent the file to SD2, and SD2 downloaded them all at a blazing speed! We even tested it against our own servers to see what impact multiple connections would have on it. The result: we didnt even notice a change. I would imagine that on older or slower servers something like SD2 would bother administrators but as far as we know, almost 99% of servers are hosted with extremely big bandwidth and hence, SD would hardly be noticeable. For those servers that don't like this, we found that SD has a feature specifically catered to them. Its called "Sensitive servers'. If you add a file to 'Sensitive Servers', SD2 will only open 1 connection to it and hence be just like your browser.

All in all, this utility has been more than terrific and lives up to what the developers advertise. Up next in our review, the software updating mechanism in SD2. Stay tuned

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I equate this type of software with car drivers who dodge into the right-hand on-ramps from the main lanes of a highway to get in front of the backed up traffic in front of them. It's the equivalent of using heft to push in front. If everyone used this software, there would be no advantage.

From what I gather, there is software that web site administrators can use to defeat multiple connections from the same source. I hope it proliferates before the bandwidth hogs block out the others. Afterall, isn't it a simple matter fo escalating the connections. First 5, then 10 as 5 slows down, then 20, then 50....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RicktheChemist:

Yes, we just opened up officially for business yesterday, ans yes, our services are readily available in Montreal. We provide on-site Macintosh consulting and support. Whether, you need support for your existing Mac environment, or want to integrate Mac into your existing Windows environment, or even upgrade completely to a Mac environment, let us know. This is what we do best.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I agree,, Speed Download is the MUST HAVE APP for Panther,,
I tried the demo and though it sucked, but then read a review on a Mac Site and it sounded awesome so I bought it ,, its one of the best purchases ever

Works seemlessly with Safari,
Manages Downloads
Speeds which are out of the world
Constantly getting speeds of 500-800k
With an Average of around 390 Downloading with SP

Must Have App!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, Speed Download 2 is truly a terrific utility and a very much welcomed must-have app on Mac OS X.

Update on the software updating mechanism of SD2:
- works as advertised.
- you get up to the minute listings of all the latest macintosh software released everyday (updates, new apps, etc). Its similar to that versiontracker except its much better organized and is much faster.
- You can download any of these software directly within SD2, and SD2 gets them real fast.
- You can even add any of these listings to your 'Watch List'. What this does is have SD2 automatically notify you when an update to this program is available. Again you can download it directly (and very quickly) within SD2, without having to use a browser.
- Search of the software is also integrated and works really nice.
- If for some reason, the program you are looking isnt found on the database, SD2 automatically gives you the option of adding it. Once added, it'll always be there.

I also took the liberty of contacting the developers and I must say, they are extremely genuine and helpful. I also found out that there is a pack load of really hot new features coming really soon. But, I was also sworn to secrecy so you'll have to wait until they announce it themselves

There are still a lot of undiscovered features in SD2. If there is a request, I will post what we find out about it. We are going to continue testing this fine utility internally, regardless

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jwoodget:

I think you are right to be concerned with the possibility that multiple-connection downloading may have undesirable moral implications. If it does, then surely we should all boycott it.

However, Troutmagnet points out, in effect, that perhaps the net effect of SpeedDownload is only that , on the one hand, a smaller number of downloaders could be connected simultaneously, but that, on the other, they would be connected for a proportionally shorter time. Does it not follow that the use of SpeedDownload works no hardship against anyone, and that, on the contrary, it confers a benefit on all downloaders? At least, I for one would prefer that my downloads were faster, even if the price of speed was that sometimes the visited site was inaccessible.

WR

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
William,

I am of the same opinion as you.

Being connected for less time is definatley a much better option.

Also, we checked an rechecked the impact of SD2 being used from different machines simultaneously to download from our server. No negative impact whatsoever.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
But what if Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Safari, Anarchy etc all introduced this type of parallel connectivity for file transfers (they already do for http transfers)?

Of course the number of simultaneous connections will have no effect on access - as long as the server load limit is not approached. Some servers are very limited.

This type of software is a way to jump the line and it will impact others. It's selfish. But there's nothing illegal about being selfish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True, on limited servers, this issue could come up. However, SD2 has a feature specifically for that. It's called sensitive servers. If you add a server to this list, SD2 will only open 1 connection (just like your browser).

Fortunately, the bandwidth provided my 99% of hosting servers is way larger than what SD2 will ever have to impact them. And its only going to get faster. That's why in my opinion, SD2 is such a great tool because 99% of the time, its save a lot of time and offers a lot more added value over download managers provided with the browser.

And yes, as you say, nothing illegal about it whatsoever

1 - 14 of 14 Posts