Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

A while ago we posted a detailed review about this great download and software updating utility for Mac OS X. Well guess what, version 2.3 was released yesterday and its even better than the last version. It has an overhauled interface and been optimized for Safari 1.2 as well as tons of new features. What impresses me most about this application is that all the features are actually useful and not simply there for the sake of adding features.

Check it out if you like, I think its definately worth it:

http://www.yazsoft.com

We would recommend it anytime to our clients.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I tried the older version when you and others raved about it a while back. I did several downloads and measured the time carefully, but when I did the same without SD, the result was, within a very few seconds almost exactly the same, namely, just short of 18 MB/hr. I was using, as recommended, only 4 channels.
And I was using it with Internet Explorer rather than Safari. Would this be the reason why I had no improvement?

WR

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
many servers are now sensitive to multiple connections because they use up bandwidth from other users.

i tried SD and also didn't find a marked increase in download speed

it probably does better with a slow (dial-up) connection.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just UNINSTALLED speed download from Safari this morning. I did many tests with it installed and then after I uninstalled speed download my downloads were faster.
So for my G5 1.6 mHz mac on a DSL connection I get faster download times without speed download.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odd. I guess depending on the servers you connect to, the speeds vary. From our tests 9/10 times, SD2 was much faster. The best test I think would be to test the same server with and without SD2 and at different intervals and check the results.

But speed aside, the features of this download manager are unrivaled in my opinion.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I too tried speed download and it screwed up my computer royally.

It even PREVENTED Safari from making some downloads.

I also had one devil of a time getting rid of numerous files it put in my eMac.

I wouldn't touch it or recommend it to anyone.

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SINC: you have to be careful when you post information about an application, esp when what you say is not entirely true.

SD2 did not 'prevent' Safari from downloading. What prevented Safari from downloading is the fact that you didn't run the uninstaller (included in the SD2 folder) to properly uninstall SD2 from your system. This is documented everywhere

SD2 uses a plugin and like ALL plugins they adjust your browsers' file helpers in order to get your browser to properly activate them. You must have simply thrown out your SD2 folder without running the uninstaller. Hence, your browser still thinks that the SD2 plugin is still there and 'that is' why your Safari couldn't download anything.

SD2 is a terrific application and we recommend it to everyone, and so far, everyone we introduced it to is very pleased.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Sorry, it was never my intention to tell an untruth and I apologize. (It was true enough in my mind at the time though.)

Not being a computer expert, I simply put my personal experience in the post. Unfortunately, we don't all like every program.

The fact remains I wouldn't touch it again with an eleven foot pole.

Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mac à Montréal,

Allow me to make a minor observation, and please don't take it as a personal attack...but you are so defensive about this program that I wonder if you personally funded the development of the program in question and are desperately trying to somehow get your investment back!

[ February 08, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: insertclevername ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nsertclevername: We have absolutely no ties to this program in any way. We are a consulting company offering services to the Mac business community in Montreal. I was simply trying to clarify a point for the interest of other users. We do this for all the applications we test and review. However, I do see where you could have come up with this conclusion
SD2 just happens to be an app that we discovered recently and happen to like very much and hence, thought of sharing it with everyone.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I asked my g/f (who teaches networking over at a local college) and she said she wouldn't trust a program like SD because she'd be worried about spyware. She's never tried it or looked at it but she's seen similar programs. So, it's staying off my system.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
No problemo...we were just looking at this last night! She also administers the network in our place so I doubt if I would be able to use this for long before she started asking questions why the little lights on the routers/switches are blinking like mad and clamps down. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i had the same thought as insertclevername. this is not the first time that speed download or whatever it is called has been pushed on this board by a certain member. and i would call it 'pushing'.

i think you may not be entirely forthcoming about your association with this software.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i am also mac and pc consultant and regularly review products to recommend to my clients who are mainly in the DTP, prepress and printing markets
these clients rely on my input on products and expect me to bring them recommendations on products and the products had better work very well too...
i don't get paid until they are pleased with the product

SD2 would not be one that i would recommend
(btw, i have testing SD for quite some time and thru various versions)

you have to understand that many servers are now setup to NOT allow multiple connections, which defeats SD2

i wholeheartedly recommend DAVE, MacDrive 5, TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, Transmit and others

i try them out in our lab, usually because the writers offer me a free evaluation copy

to each his own, i guess

1 - 15 of 15 Posts