Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to upgrade my "ancient" single processor QS 867 to either a refurbished MDD Dual 1.0GHZ system or a brand new MDD Dual 1.25GHz.

The difference in dollars between the two systems is not that great considering the standard components I would need for either (large/fast HDD, fast Video card, 1.5GB memory, etc., etc.). I don't do alot of heavy duty video editing or modelling but I do like having all my programs open at once (web design, image editors, page layout, etc.)

Which, in your opinion, would be the better system and why.

[ July 28, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: blackk ]

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've heard nothing but noise problems regarding the older duals, plus some are not bootable in OS 9.

By all the reports I've seen, the new 1.25 duals are much quieter and OS 9 bootable -- only lacking extra candy like Bluetooth.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not 9 Bootable? Who cares anymore??

I'm surprised to find that the programmes I have are very happy in Classic.

Get the machine with the fastest DDR memory and bus speed. That way, you can have a better upgrade path and get more life out of the machine.

My 7600 lasted for years. Voodoo card, daughercard processor upgrades (twice), more RAM, upgrded L2 cache, UW SCSI...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not 9 Bootable? Who cares anymore??
Depends on your circumstances. I still have useful OS 9 programs that will not work in Classic so this is an important option.

Get the machine with the fastest DDR memory and bus speed. That way, you can have a better upgrade path and get more life out of the machine.
Wise advice. Just don't buy your RAM from Apple. Start with the minimum (256) and shop around for additional elsewhere. You'll save hundreds. Ditto with the hard drive (I'd recommend the 80 GB minimum) and the graphics support (the Radeon 9000 should suit your needs fine unless you intend to do high-end 3D work). All totalled you have a great starting machine for just over $2500 that has terrific and economical upgrade capability.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For what it's worth, the PowerMac DP 1.25GHz that are available on Apple's website have 2MB of L3 cache, as opposed to the PowerMac DP 1.0GHz which only have 1MB of L3 cache. Depending on what you're doing, that extra megabyte of L3 cache might come in handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts