ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to find information on the “Speech to Text” feature in the Notes app on an iPad.

My wife has an iPad 2, 64G, and she would like to record and convert lectures to text.

My wife’s friend has a newer iPad and is able to do this (I’ve ben told) very quickly and easily, using the Notes app which is supplied on the iPad.

When we try this on our iPad, we click on the microphone icon in notes, a wave form is displayed which responds nicely when we speak and an insertion cursor appears where we would expect the text to appear.

But no text!

I’m not familiar with the iPad controls & settings (get frustrated trying to make sense of the organisation). I cannot find any setting to turn on the text, I tried searching Google and Apple for some reference to this feature, but all reference other note taking apps like Evernote etc.

I’m hoping someone here with more experience can give me guidance with this problem

- before I pick up a small sledge and vent my frustration out on this miserable @#••&!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Don

I looked at Dragon, seems like a good alternative However, the location where the lectures are held does not have WiFi ( or at least doesn't allow access), and I believe WiFi is required to function.

I'm wondering if the version of Notes in the latest IOS software update is what's required. I haven't updated to the latest system yet as adjusting to all the changes / new "Features" is a PITA.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links pm-r, very helpful

I'm planning to check on the friend's iPad, try to figure out what makes it so special. Looks like I have to spend a bit of time researching the problem.

Would be nice if Apple provided a real user's manual, but thats not likely.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
If I recall correctly, I was able to download an Apple manual for my iPad 2 from one of Apple's sites, but it like so many manuals and product info pages expound on all the good things they can do without mentioning the limitations to use them. Printer manufacturers fall into this group as well.

I think the Apple iPad Manual was in Apple's iBook section, but I'm not positive.

That's when the wonderful WWW comes into play and is so useful.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody - I'll check out all the links

Now all I need is to get some time with the iPad - "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has it booked solid :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts