Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Apple's sales site when you are on the page with the 3 options of the G5 to buy it says that the version on Jaguar is a "Specially Tuned" version.What's different?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
That's version 10.2.7, which Apple has said will be the version of Jag that will ship with these swanky new machines.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The code name for 10.2.7 was Smeagol. As PGant said, Jaguar fine tuned to work on the G5 (and most likely has a few enablers or something built in). 10.2.7 (the one on the G5s) won't run on any other computer however as far as I've heard.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So at this point the speculation is that 10.2.6 is the last update for the G4 and lesser machines.Strange.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The new (10.2.7) version of Jaguar has got some 64-bit code so that the memory manager can access all the memory you can stuff into that computer.

That's about it FAIK.

John

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I'm a little puzzled by suggestions that 10.2.7 won't run on non-G5 machines. Since these are the same machines that will run Panther, and Panther's specs go back as far as G3s, then it seems like a reasonable deduction that the next upgrade for 10.2 will serve all platforms.

Then again, this is all idle speculation on a Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
10.2.7 will run on older machines.. of course.. it is still a 3 bit OS with added support for the G5.. it will have a few different libraries and such but nothing significantly different.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
To clarify what I said, it was that 10.2.7 was the only version of Jaguar that would have some special libraries and files for the G5 to run it. So in essense, 10.2.7 is 10.2.6 with G5 support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts