Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Are all computer speakers compatible with my Mac G4 DP system? I'm asking because I don't have the funds to purchase the expensive (yet so sleek and cool) Apple stick speakers. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. Looking for something under $100 (if that's even possible). I'd be using it primarily for listening to music and just listening to my audio in iMovie.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I will always buy Monsoon speakers. I bought mine over 2 years ago and have never had a problem until my subwoofer stopped working last month. I think it may have overheated because of the confined area I had it in. The company that makes Monsoon speakers replaced the subwoofer for free, even though the warranty had long expired. Great company located here in Vancouver.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pickup some Altec Lansing ones. I just got a new set and they work and sound great. I got the ATP3 model. But if you look in the Future Shop paper that came today(friday) the ATP5 set is on sale for a 100 bucks. It has 4 speakers and a sub and supports surround sound and it has other sound modes you can set it to. Both systems are great. But keep in mind that the ATP3 is 130 and ATP 5 is 250 bucks at regular price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought a set of Altec Lansing 221 for $70 bucks and they're okay. The bass is a little heavy, but you can't complain given the price.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hello

So it's speakers you want, eh.

I have the Monsoon IM-700's. And they ROCK!! They are the best computer speaker I have ever heard for the buck!

Let me first start by saying that are WAY better sounding than the sound sticks. (I will explain why.) Even my friend that has sound sticks think that these are nicer and better sounding. If you are going for looks only and don't care as much about the sound, the take the sticks, Otherwise stick with the monsoons. (No pun intended)

So ok, on to my Monsoon IM-700 opinion. I would like to start by saying that my two biggest loves in life (other than my fiancee) are music and computers. I am an audiophlie in the true sense of the word. None of that pioneer or yamaha crap. I mean like Bryston and Wadia and B & W's sort of sound. Not cheap sound.

I am going to blabber for a second here just so get a idea where my music knowledge comes from.
At home I have a "OK" system, it consists of a Cambridge audio D500 CD player, A Cambridge audio A500 integrated amp, monster interconnecters, Paradigm studio 40's for a speaker ( A absolutely amazing bookshelf speaker, check them out www.paradigm.ca they are canadian eh!) And Audioquest speaker cables. With a Rotel line conditioner. It cost about $3000 and sounds pretty good.
However I am have friends that have $10 000 - $25 000 two channel audio systems, consisting of Wadia CD player's or Bryston pre/power amps, connected to B&W 800's and Revels. So I know what good sound is.

The Monsoons are the best computer speaker for the buck. Mine cost about $250 with tax. When you first get them they suck but after about 200 hours, and they have broken is, they are a completely different speaker. They are ribbon speakers (same technology as Magnepan's) They also have a small bandpass sub for low end re-enforcement. The sub is a little boomy but acceptable for the $250 total cost. The speakers have AWESOME imaging and clarity. The soundstage is incredible for the price. You can tell were every instrument is, if you close you eyes and listen long enough you could almost believe you are listening to HI-FI!

I should mention that being ribbon speakers and all, they are highly directional (meaning that you must have them aimed at you the listener) they don't sound so great if you are else were in the room.
You can hear a lot of detail in the music, they are warm, and flow nicely.

WARNING they will rip MP3's apart. They are that good.

You should also note that they like room to breath so a clean desk helps. They really don't like clutter. But hey does any speaker?

After listening to them for a while (and after they have broken in) you will be amazed, you will never want to go back to cheap speakers ever again. They are a cheap taste of Hi-Fi. To get there full potential you will need to listen to CD quality music. You will be able to hear the imperfections in MP3's.

I really can't say enough good things about the Monsoon IM-700's. I can't comment on the rest of model line, having never heard them.

Now I know that you wanted to spend less that 100 bucks, but please to consider the Monsoons. You will be glad you did. If you have any questions about them or the sound quality please post, I will try my best to give you a descriptive answer.

Nick

oh ya
Did I mention that they ROCK!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I forgot to mention that the IM-700's connect to your system via USB or a 1/8 plug.
I have done some playing around and they seem to sound the best using the 1/8 plug with the computer volume at MA. Then control the system volume using the puck/wired remote that comes with the speakers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have to give a shout out to Monsoon here, not only because they are a great company, but because they are a great canadian company. Yep, based in Richmond, B.C..

Seriously, the new Planarmedia7 set is some of the best sound for the buck ata 129$ for two speakers and a sub, followed closely by the new Altec Lansing set (I can;t remember the model number off the top of my head, but you can't miss em, the sub looks like a bomb.

If you want a bit better sound, check out the AltecLansing 2100s. They aren't as powerful, but the sound is very clear. Instead of two moderate speakers and a large sub, each satellite has two small speakers and the sub has two medium sized drivers that produced a much more even sound. it brings out the mids, which is one areas that I feel most computer speakers miss out on.

Of course if you want the best sound around, you need to look at something by Klipsch. Their ProMedia 2.1 system is by far the best sound I have ever heard out of a set aimed at the computer market. These things have better sound than most Stereo Mini Systems, and as a comparison, I'd say they have better sound than the Monsoon MM-2000 set, which is a 4.1 Stereo set.
The only speakers I have heard that rival the Klipsch 2.1 set is a set from Logitech, the Z560s, which are a THX certified set, 4.1 surround.
Too bad there is a lack of sound cards for Macs these days, because the built in audio on a Mac is only 2.1 compatible, and the Logitech Z560s are the same price as the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s. Like I said though, there is no comparison in terms of quality.

--PB

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
Our audio staff did some listening tests to several sets of 3 pc systems and by far the value leader was the Labtec 420s. How they can manufacture a 3 pc with an 8" Sub!!! that sounds this good and retails at $59 Cdn is beyond me.
One head of a studio that does outdoor filming took a set home last holiday season, had a listen and came back and bought four more sets for staff and friends. We've sold hundreds and never ever had a complaint about the sound quality.
We carry the Altecs and personally I like upper register but the overall balance is a bit thin while the Labtecs sound good at all levels.
Now I make no pretense for these being upper end audio and I have a background in very high end having distributed Supex, AudioStatic, Cambridge ( English amps ) amongst others and been a part owner of Ring Audio.
But when the source is not high end and you want decent sound on a budget that works with all types of music ( we listen all day to everything from classical to Celtic to country to rock on Internet streaming through iTunes at the office) these always give a satisfying, non wearying sound. You will not find a better value for this use and we've tried all kinds of systems in the under $100 price point..
Our pro audio guys found the same thing, good sound, actually amazing sound given the price and the 8" sub just add effortless bottom end even at low volumes. Controls are easy to use with a straight forward volume control thumb wheel on top of one of the satellites - your hand finds it easily when the phone rings - easier than locating the volume controls on the keyboard.
I'll also give a nod to HK Champagne series. Hard to find but good sound in the $150 range and very nice controls plus super good looking.
We tried some Monsoons but always found them a bit thin. Your comment about break in makes sense but also your comment about them being over detailed for MP3s is likely, we found that true for both the upper end Altecs and the HKs.
With DVD or CD as a source I want high definition sound, with MP3 or streaming audio, decent sound with effortless bottom end for a low price is ideal. Good for gaming too, nice impact from the big sub.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
The Monsoon's are great, but if you're looking for good value at a lower price point, give Dave at Macdoc a call at 905-608-8588. He had an inexpensive pair with a subwoofer last time I was there. I think they were under $100 and sounded pretty decent from what I heard

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
One day in bMac, I did a comparison of the speakers. They had three pairs beside an iMac. Monsoon, Yamaha, and I forget the others (Cambridge, maybe?).

I liked the Yamaha set the best. Not that the others sounded bad, but different speakers have different timbres and do sound different.

Let your ears be the judge, but I wouldn't rush out and buy Monsoons without hearing the Yamaha.

On a side note, does anyone have this:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/cables_accessories/prospeaker_breakout.html

connected to home stereo speakers? I have a pair of Paradigm 3se minis collecting dust that could be put to good use.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Hey, I forgot about the Labtec Pulse 420s, indeed, in the lower end, they are currently the best speakers going.

Still, The Altec 2100s @ 160$ and the Monsoons PlanarMedia7s @ 130$ I will still rank better, and for not a heckuvalot more money either. But if you do look in the sub 100$ range, the Pulse 420s are the only way to go.

Of course, if you have the cash, go with the Kilpsch. sure they are around 300$, and after you listen to them you will probably reconsider the quality of your stereo, but hey, they are the best.

--PB
--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'll have to complain about the Moonson ones here -- from what I saw, they are flat-panel based which can look very ugly unless you have a black LCD display with them. Sure, most people don't care about looks, but if you do, stay FAR away from these. Their subwoofers are kick-butt, however.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts