Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... so gorge!

I saw the gold one. And wasn't mad at it - although i have yet to hear about some real world comments on certain suites running on it.

But man, this space great is GORGE. Was unboxed buy a TypeKit staffer and he posted some pics some pics.

enjoy.

H!

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
i want everything i own to be in space grey from now on. computers, phones, cars, kitchen utensils, cats, dogs...all of it.
you left out wife and kids too LOL

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I like the new design (especially the layout/shape of the keyboard) and colors, but the processor is just so slow. My iPad Air 2 is faster/more responsive.
That is what is holding me back from buying one. Stuck at the moment, I want to replace my 15" rMBP that used to be my work horse but has now been replaced by a 5k iMac. So I want portable. I do not need the best specs, but the macbook leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to horsepower as well as ports. I would go with a MacBook Air, but no Retina display and I am not stepping backwards, once you go UHD you cannot go back.

Here is hoping the next MacBook Air refresh brings a long a retina display.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I like the new design (especially the layout/shape of the keyboard) and colors, but the processor is just so slow. My iPad Air 2 is faster/more responsive.
For most tasks that you'd do on a computer like this, I don't find it excessively slow. It's not a MBP, but it's not that bad, since the turbo clock is pretty high. I have Lightroom on mine, and it renders images fairly quickly, and works great for tagging, sorting, as well as some global edits like colour temperature and such. Brush edits are slower, but usually, I don't do those while on the road. Generating Smart Previews upon importing does take a while, but that's better left to do on the iMac at home.

For anything web-related, video playback, iTunes, etc., it's a perfectly capable machine. The portability is great. I have a small camera bag with a compartment designed for an iPad 2/3/4 form factor, and it fits perfectly in there.

And yes, Space Grey is the best colour :) Interestingly enough, the space grey is not exactly the same share as the iPhone and iPad, there is a slight difference between each.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was in the exact same boat, annoyed that Apple was pushing out a long awaited unit with such underwhelming specs. Then I decided to ask/look around and found this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Looks like it's handling things well.

There's a case for this to NOT be a main unit, if you're going to do lots of heavy lifting, but this video may have swayed me to this new 12" as I don't ever plan to use it as a main.

H!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks like it's handling things well.

There's a case for this to NOT be a main unit, if you're going to do lots of heavy lifting, but this video may have swayed me to this new 12" as I don't ever plan to use it as a main.

H!

Don't forget. That's the 1.2 version, not the 1.1.

I was at the Apple Store last night and tried the 1.1 out, opening and running things like File Maker Pro (played the movie already there) and Garageband (messed with the midi and played 4-6 tracks), and playing both while Safari, Mail, Notebook, and Numbers were open.

Coming from a 12" Powerbook, I did find that I was able to have more open before it slowed at all, websites rendered faster, Numbers opened 10 times faster, I could use File Maker Pro ad Garageband without having to close everything else in order to keep the heat down. The distance and size of the keys were familiar to me, but the plasticness of them bugged me (I've never used chicklet style keys before)- the travel, however was just to my liking (I find I make typos on other keyboards, because I don't press hard enough). I tried the macbook Air keyboard right after and ugh! there's no way I can use that. The screen is the first screen I've seen that I feel comfortable replacing my matte screen with.

In saying all that, there was something that was slower than my powerbook. I didn't quite figure out what it was (I was in the store and had somewhere to be), but there were moments that I was expecting instant response, that I get regularly on my powerbook, that I didn't get on the macbook. It reminded me of using a different browser that renders pages differently, and the new browser's way seems to take longer, like it loaded then displayed, only it wasn't the browser, it was the computer. I don't know if this is a processor thing, a ppc vs. Intel thing or a Tiger vs. Yosemite thing. Maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about? It made me think the 1.2 or 1.3 GHz processor might be worth it. I wish I could have tried one, but there wasn't any on display.

In any case, it's a great machine, I just think I'm going to wait for the next generation. I'm okay with my Powerbook for now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Very respectful, thanks, broad!

My experience is what it was, sorry if you can't wrap your head around it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
macbook

I had one for about 1.5 weeks, then returned it.
I really like the portability (size & weight) but the speed was a little disappointing (like one other poster said "there's just something slower about it").
The keyboard was kind of different (I prefer the old style) but could learn to live with it.
I think the biggest thing tho, was probably the price (buyers remorse?... funny, thats what the sale person wrote on the return slip :eek:)... I'd probably get one again if it was priced below $1,100.00cad... maybe in the "refurbed" section in a few months eh?

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Very respectful, thanks, broad!

My experience is what it was, sorry if you can't wrap your head around it.

You'll have to get used to his comments singingcrow if you even bother reading them, and I'm surprised he hasn't responded by now but give him time. Or maybe for a change he finally understood a post for a change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.