Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running my MacMini (late 2014) OSX 10.13.6 without any fuss. I updated the iTunes app as directed and as is my normal practice but then .....
I have now developed a glitch. Suddenly the sound will cut out . and I have to reboot the mac to restore it. It can happen after a few hours or a couple of days of use.
iTunes will not play, Youtube will show video but no sound, Games will play but no longer have sound, homemade videos will play but no sound.
Firstly I checked my Sys Prefs Sound - OK. I then Checked my Xternal Speakers - OK. I tried the Internal speakers - no sound, I then shutdown the mac and pulled out the power cord for a few secs then reinserted and rebooted. I zapped the PRAM. I got terminal to check and reset prefs. I reinstalled a new system using Recovery mode.
Nothing works.
Can anyone help please?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Is there any other software at play (Soundflower, AirFoil?) Might be worth taking a look in 'Audio MIDI setup'
Are there potentially any Bluetooth devices paired with the Mini, that might wander in and out of range?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. 'Soundflower' is installed it seems, 'Airfoil' is not. I can only think that it must have been installed through another sound editor I use - at least, I guess. Even so, nothing is recently installed. I don't believe Bluetooth would come into play.

Still doesn't explain why this has suddenly happened. Should I go back to an old backup pre the problem occurring?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the 'Soundflower' extension in the 'Audio Midi Setup' in 'Utilities'. However, I cannot see how to trash it, nor do I understand what will occur if I do somehow trash it.
All advice greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
It basically intercepts audio, and allows you to send it elsewhere, be that an app, or another audio device virtual or otherwise. It's not usually something you install directly but rather is part of the install process of other apps.

Possible that updating iTunes also changed the default output (not sure why that would happen) You could try making sure SoundFlower is not the default output or input audio device.

Removing SoundFlower will likely prevent whatever app included it from functioning properly. But these directions *may* work: https://support.shinywhitebox.com/hc/en-us/articles/202751790-Uninstalling-Soundflower

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you again for the advice. Unfortunately, I tried the uninstall several times and rebooted as per directions, but Soundflower stays doggedly within the Audio Midi Setup. I think a complete reformat of the HD seems the only option. Aaargh.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Gee, it appears to be such a simple remove process:

How to uninstall Soundflower on Mac:

Please go to Finder-> /System/Library/Extensions.
Find Soundflower.kext.
Remove it, then reboot your Mac.
Soundflower plug-in will be fully removed from your Mac.

Have you tried this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brilliant. Totally removed. Thank you both for your invaluable help. Now to see if the sound stays constant and then hopefully close this blog. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh dear, sorry to report the fault is still with me. Worked well for 3 days and then suddenly no sound. I haven't varied the routine at all, nor fired up any sound editor, just the usual stuff - a couple of games I play, iTunes, some Youtube, photo-editing - etc -nothing new or out of the ordinary. Soundflower has not resurfaced and Audio Midi setup shows only Built-In. Sys Prefs is switched to Headphones and I have not altered anything. I guess a complete format and reinstall is my only option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I looked but I had previously rebooted the Mac to restore the sound and so messages have been lost, but I will look next time it happens. As to what to do with any reportage I admit I haven't a clue.. Cheers

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
A quick mute and unmute sometimes restores sound for me.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Sys Prefs is switched to Headphones and I have not altered anything. I guess a complete format and reinstall is my only option.

Yikes...!!! I'm sorry I'm coming in a bit late here but that sounds like a complete overkill to use as a solution which may not even work.

You will have to use a logical process to trace down the problem and isolate the cause.

Have you even tried booting up in Safe Boot Mode but I have a feeling that doing so maykill the external speaker Jack but I'm not sure about that. But certainly worth a try.

Have you run Disk Utility and do any repairs that you can??

Have you tried just using the internal speakers???

How hot is your Mac running when the problem happens???

I use Mac Fan Control:
https://www.crystalidea.com/?source=fancontrol_mac

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the risk of completely taking over the message board - I do apologise to all .... here is the latest development ...
I was Airplaying music to the lounge area and playing a small game on my computer(sound turned off). Fine for a time. Suddenly the music stopped. I turned the game sound on but no sound. I looked at the menu bar and the sound icon showed 'Mute',
Sys Prefs showed Airplay (lounge room) and iTunes showed it was still playing the song. I adjusted the menu bar indicator from Mute to Full. Music returned through Airplay but game sound did not. Game played but suddenly quit. I quit Airplay, Sys Prefs showed Headphones (external Speakers) but Game had no sound, Music (on Computer) no sound - in fact iTunes had loaded the music track but wasn't playing it. Rebooted computer and all was well again. I picked up my hair from the floor and continued as before.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
@bobloz
One thing to realize and especially with computer games, many developers do not follow the computer OS rules in their programming and and will gladly take over any available resources that they can and we'll also try and take over some resources that they shouldn't even be going near. They don't care as long as their game plays well for the user, and that's where the conflict comes in. But the trouble is, often it is not a pleasant experience for the user, especially if they are trying to run another application at the same time.

If you're going to play such games, I would suggest not trying to use any other applications.

I can also depend on your computer, the Mac OS and it's speed, the hard drives used and the amount of memory installed.

Try using just normal Mac applications for a bit and see how your Mac works with that, and especially try things that use your audio including YouTube etc.

And you do not have to apologize at all as you say ~ At the risk of completely taking over the message board.

It is a completely legitimate questions you are asking and it's a pleasant relief from some of the political BS and crap slinging that seems to go on and on and on in these forums. After all the site was called ehMac for a reason.

Don't forget to let us know how things are going. And hopefully they will improve.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the reassurance Patrick. In answer to your previous post, I have run Disk Utility - nothing reportable, The Mac is not overly hot - it is elevated about 2cm with airspace underneath , I have 16 GB RAM, 2.8 GhZ, and the problem occurs with both External & Internal speakers. Even if I just run the music it still occurs after a time. There seems to me, no rhyme nor reason for this completely new occurrence - no new software added, Malwarebytes reports system is normal etc. The change came about after I installed the recommended update to iTunes. That's it. Apple cannot provide me with a solution.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
That's it. Apple cannot provide me with a solution.

Bummer...!!! It may sound stupid but is there any chance that you are killing the sound accidentally with a keyboard shortcut or the touch bar or keypad or something???

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not at all. I have been running Macs now ever since the LC1 days and never had this problem and I have done everything I can think of.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
One final thought for you, try downloading OnyX and running it to see if it will clear up the issue.

I have relied on OnyX for many years and find it fixes many issues. While I run Malwarebytes weekly, I run OnyX monthly to keep my MacBook Pro well-tuned. Just be very sure to run the appropriate version of OnyX built for your particular OS, High Sierra. If you have an SSD it runs quickly, if not it takes a while, be patient.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts